OK, wad-dew-I-dew-now...

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
...that I find that one of my Christmas presents won't fit on my tracks? Try as I may, the wheels seem to be a bit out of gauge, OK, a lot out of gauge :rolleyes: :rolleyes:... or could it be that my son and grandkids didn't realize that everything else I have in N scale, and that this isn't N scale?:D

I haven't a clue as to what I've got here, or what I need to power this engine. Well, it does say it is a Bachmann 1910 Baldwin, and I suspect it can't be too old, but I don't know when it was made. It came with lots of track so I could actually set it up and run it if any of my meager Tech4's would power it, and I could convince my wife that the dining room would make an ideal spot for a new large-scale layout.:thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• G loco.jpg
    G loco.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 143

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Wow! That has to be the most narrow gauge of layouts I've ever seen! :)
Either that or the train just needs a few moments in the selective compression machine! :) That's a beautiful set though and will look nice on a display shelf.
Cool gift!
Ralph

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Don,
Looks like you've got the makin's of a garden railroad there! In your area that's prolly doable at this time-o-year! Up here in the frozen tundra, that stuff is still a few months away!

2slim

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
2slim said:
Don,
Looks like you've got the makin's of a garden railroad there! In your area that's prolly doable at this time-o-year! Up here in the frozen tundra, that stuff is still a few months away!

2slim
Yeah, that could be the start of one of those, "gee, I got this loco and a couple of cars for Christmas, let's just go out and spend a few thousand more and I can have myself a real railroad", things...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's kinda like getting a set of tires for a present and then going out and buying a car so you have something to put them on.:D :D :D :D

Nope, I think they're gunna look just fine displayed on the shelf above my layout..... N scale layout that is.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
N Gauger said:
Of course, if you get a 5 Amp Power supply and a 5 Amp reverser - - you could have them go back and forth on the shelf :) 1 X 6 X 10 :) :) :)

Not that "I'd" ever do that :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If you need some track - let me know i have "some" lying around here :D :D
Well, I had it running with my Tech4/350, but it would bind up. So either I operate and fix the problem, or I have a nice display.

BTW, loco, tender and two cars are 72", most likely shelf space is.... uh, 82" without doing more work...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A display is really looking more and more like the way to go.:D

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
ezdays said:
Well, I had it running with my Tech4/350, but it would bind up. So either I operate and fix the problem, or I have a nice display.

BTW, loco, tender and two cars are 72", most likely shelf space is.... uh, 82" without doing more work...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A display is really looking more and more like the way to go.:D
Then for around 70.00 more :) You could buy those roller bearings that go under the wheels :) For display and then you could run it in place :) :)

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
N Gauger said:
Then for around 70.00 more :) You could buy those roller bearings that go under the wheels :) For display and then you could run it in place :) :)
Uh, maybe you missed my post above where I said:
Yeah, that could be the start of one of those, "gee, I got this loco and a couple of cars for Christmas, let's just go out and spend a few thousand more and I can have myself a real railroad", things...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1
Don't they call that the "snowball effect"?:rolleyes:

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
ezdays said:
Uh, maybe you missed my post above where I said:
sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1
Don't they call that the "snowball effect"?:rolleyes:
Just WHO do you think you're talking too?????? sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1

1992 ~ The "Boss Lady " thought it would be "cute" to buy me a "Single G gauge Freight set" for our 4th anniversary....... ($120.00)
1994 - I had already invested almost $500.00 in track
1996 - I thought it would be neat to start buying some more stuff --- I got another transformer and a locomotive (U-25B) $125.00
1999 - I joined E-bay (Nuff said?)
2000 - Joined The Guage - no comment :D
2002 - bought Mr. Rogers Trolly and various other cars and another engine ($500.00 total)
2003 - I fell in love with the Bachmann Climax ($240.00)
2004 - Totally re-designed the layout - changed scales from "G" to "F"(1:20.3 - to match the Climax) - also built trestle (approximatly $65.00)
2005 - Sold Trolly, and donated some cars to different people
2006 - Built more scenery, buildings misc structures, engines etc.... (Approx. Cost $200.00)

So "just because" she knew I might want "the big trains" I'm into it almost $2000.00 :D :D :D
.... And Now ---- You have one!!!.....
.................. Be afraid.......Be Verrrrrrrrrry Afraid sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
N Gauger said:
Just WHO do you think you're talking too?????? sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1

1992 ~ The "Boss Lady " thought it would be "cute" to buy me a "Single G gauge Freight set" for our 4th anniversary....... ($120.00)
1994 - I had already invested almost $500.00 in track
1996 - I thought it would be neat to start buying some more stuff --- I got another transformer and a locomotive (U-25B) $125.00
1999 - I joined E-bay (Nuff said?)
2000 - Joined The Guage - no comment :D
2002 - bought Mr. Rogers Trolly and various other cars and another engine ($500.00 total)
2003 - I fell in love with the Bachmann Climax ($240.00)
2004 - Totally re-designed the layout - changed scales from "G" to "F"(1:20.3 - to match the Climax) - also built trestle (approximatly $65.00)
2005 - Sold Trolly, and donated some cars to different people
2006 - Built more scenery, buildings misc structures, engines etc.... (Approx. Cost $200.00)

So "just because" she knew I might want "the big trains" I'm into it almost $2000.00 :D :D :D
.... And Now ---- You have one!!!.....
.................. Be afraid.......Be Verrrrrrrrrry Afraid sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1
OK, you win, the first thing we're gunna have to do is to build a bigger house. I'm not getting into this in a small way.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh, that's right, I am into it in a small way, 1:160, and that's about as big as I really wanna get.:thumb: :thumb:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
N Gauger said:
Of course, if you get a 5 Amp Power supply and a 5 Amp reverser - - you could have them go back and forth on the shelf :) 1 X 6 X 10 :) :) :)

Not that "I'd" ever do that :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If you need some track - let me know i have "some" lying around here :D :D
How much of that 5 amps do I need to run this one loco? I had the wheels turning with my Tech3/350 which should drive about 3 amps max at 12 volts. My problem is that the wheels bind up. How much current should one motor draw when the wheels are free to turn?

I took the thing apart and couldn't find any obvious problem, then I went to the Bachmann web site and found that they have an unlimited warranty. For $25 they will repair it so I might just take them up on that offer...

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
The drive shafts and other things may be worn out.... You have to watch Bachmann - if it's too old they will replace it not repair it. You might ose your old engine.. Call them first and see if the parts are still available..

Did you oil everything on the drive train (Johnson bar etc...)???

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
N Gauger said:
The drive shafts and other things may be worn out.... You have to watch Bachmann - if it's too old they will replace it not repair it. You might ose your old engine.. Call them first and see if the parts are still available..

Did you oil everything on the drive train (Johnson bar etc...)???
The front wheels of the drive train have a split axle and are held in place with a plastic sleeve. I think the sleeve is worn so when I run it, the wheels go out of line and the linkage binds up. The former owner seems to have used an abundance of white grease on the axle and sleeve which tells me this has been a problem area. I'm going to call Bachmann tomorrow and see what they can do. I'm not sure how old this engine is, but there sure are a lot of plastic parts on it. If I send it back, I'm sending the tender as well and let them replace both if need be, which means, hold off on sending me that wheel until I let you know what's going on...

Ya know, I'm use to working on N scale, the parts on this engine are wayyyyy tooooo biggggg to work on efficently.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
ezdays said:
The front wheels of the drive train have a split axle and are held in place with a plastic sleeve. I think the sleeve is worn so when I run it, the wheels go out of line and the linkage binds up. The former owner seems to have used an abundance of white grease on the axle and sleeve which tells me this has been a problem area. I'm going to call Bachmann tomorrow and see what they can do. I'm not sure how old this engine is, but there sure are a lot of plastic parts on it. If I send it back, I'm sending the tender as well and let them replace both if need be, which means, hold off on sending me that wheel until I let you know what's going on...

Ya know, I'm use to working on N scale, the parts on this engine are wayyyyy tooooo biggggg to work on efficently.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Ok - sounds good to me :)