OK, I did it as well.

Looking good! Do you plan to lay the track on any cork roadbed before you ballast? I would highly recommend it, as most prototypical track is elevated above "street level." As far as the lake goes, there are a number of good resin products that mimic water to a high degree of accuracy. It's probably too late, but I would have given the lake an inlet that "flowed" off the edge of the table - it gives the illusion of a less enclosed space.

Here's an example of what I mean from my tabletop N layout.

JohnZ_train1.jpg

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Hi jhoban, really nice looking layout. :thumb: :thumb:
As per your questions on senicing it, if you click on the link in my signature you will find pages for Detailing and How To links that have some great ideas and procedures to help you out. As for your pond, there is a link on the How To page about using mylar balloon material to make some incredible water effects. :thumb: :thumb:

jhoban

Jun 18, 2005
It is not too late for a stream heading off the lake. However, I am kinda going for the sucluded little paradise. As for cork, no, not this time. This is simply my own little fantasy world experiment if you will. Trying to keep it simple and keep the cost down for my first venture. If all goes well and I find that I still enjoy it after all is said and done, then I definitely will be on the next layout.

Ummmm, sorry, laymens terms please. Is senicing another word for ground cover? Kinda threw me off there. The site had plenty of useful info, but didnt see exactly what I was looking for. Forgive me if I missed it, easy to get distracted by all the cool projects there. When laying the green turf looking stuff, do I want to apply some spray glue, then just sprinkle it on, or mix it with some glue mixture ahead of time, and then spread that.

As for the ballon pond, that is what I saw to get me second guessing my lake. This lake will be about 10" wide. Any ideas how the ballon idea would look at that size.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
jhoban said:
Ummmm, sorry, laymens terms please. Is senicing another word for ground cover? Kinda threw me off there. The site had plenty of useful info, but didnt see exactly what I was looking for. Forgive me if I missed it, easy to get distracted by all the cool projects there. When laying the green turf looking stuff, do I want to apply some spray glue, then just sprinkle it on, or mix it with some glue mixture ahead of time, and then spread that.

As for the ballon pond, that is what I saw to get me second guessing my lake. This lake will be about 10" wide. Any ideas how the ballon idea would look at that size.

Yes, senicing is making your layout look real with trees, grass ponds, streams etc.
One place to start is Ground Cover right here in the Academy. Also check out the many books that are available on the subject (model railroading basics, scenery etc.). If you don't want to buy them outright, try your local library. If they don't have them I'm sure that they can get them. You will find that there is no Right way to do it. Do your homework and then pick the way that fits what you are trying to do. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Re your lake. I don't know just where or how you want your lake, but I really like the mylar idea. What I recomend is to go down to your local florist or whomever sells the mylar balloons and buy one of the appropriate size. Have fun with the helium :D , and place the mylar on your layout in the position you would like to have your lake and see if it looks like what you want. A pretty cheap experiment.
Good luck!! :thumb: :thumb: