• Never touching a model, if it's ready to run - I run it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I tweak & turn & paint (or weather) a bit - but that's all

• I mess with something a bit (cut) but it's usually minor & no one notices

• I go nuts sometimes & sometimes people will notice

• I go overboard more often than not, and Sometimes I go too far & have to start over

• There is nothing on my layout, that is "stock" -- everything has been altered somewhere. :)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Ok all you "modelers" out there :) Lets have some fun... (again).

Here is the chance for you to come to the table and do something truly interesting, for the other members....

..........Tell us - " How far would you go - or have you gone - over that gray area of Model railroading" - to make your trian engines & cars run correctly on your layout.....

And "Coupler Conversions and DCC" do NOT count - they are considered common practice for this poll/discussion.

I'm talking about "custom" Knifework. Things you have to do to a certain car to make it run correctly on your layout..... or would you??? :D :D

onceler

Aug 13, 2005
Round Lake, IL
As soon as my layout is to on operational part, I am hoping to upgrade my vote from never to I mess a bit... Currently, I am trying to focus my time on actually laying track and getting trains running than being sidetracked with detail work.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
If I've done it properly, then no one will notice that I've done it.
I've reletteed/renumbered a couple of locos and cars.
Most of my current tweaking is modifying British wheels to something approaching NMRA standards. As I get older, I do less and less modifying -- the commercial stuff seems to be more what I want.

Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
I voted - I tweak & turn & paint (or weather) a bit - but that's all

I'll work on something if it needs it.

I've kitbashed a few cars and plan on doing some locomotives soon.

I have painted both cars and locomotives for my home road.

I do run stuff straight out of the box, as well.

I haven't done much weathering. I figure that is something that I will get around to in due time.

At this stage i said never, all my purchased rolling stock is as is from ebay, others i received as a gift from absnut are beautifully weathered.
Our layout is of freelance design, all rolling stock is leased from all over the US & Canada.
2' x 2' of a 22'x 2' U completed in 18mths lol. Instead of life project missus now wants it completed in 5yrs & is already planning our next effort, an O gauge layout.

I do prefer the layout part much more than watching trains go round.

Cheers, Damien.

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
most times I do tweek, turn, repaint or do somthing with it, and some times I just throw it in the "fix me up box" (later)..but there have been excetions....have a good one..steve

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Well , in voting i can only relate this to my N scale endeavors. In the new scale which
#1 i can see better , and
#2 i will not need near as many pieces of rolling stock

I plan to kitbuild and kitbash with added detail and superdetail as time and money permits.Locomotives will get detailed and weathered but I will likely not do anything as regards mechanisms etc beyond adding DCC and Sound as required.

Yep, all this is going to take me forever as I am really slow and getting slower :D

Fort Kent Dad

Sep 4, 2005
Alberta Canada
www3.telus.net
Have I taken a knife (saw) to a perfectly good engine and chopped it up?

Yes.

Would I do it again?

Not until I learn how to do it right. Unhappy with my efforts with the engines I tried. Did yield some chopped up F Unit noses for a neat scrap yard sometime.

Did chop a boxcar down to make a M.O.W. car with half open deck, half boxcar converted to workshop. That one I did a bit better, still need to work on my Rolling Stock-Bashing skills before I bash an other engine. I certainly will not be touching any of my new engines.

:p

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Somebody told me that if I used things just as they came, then I was just a collector. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I've been collecting dust for years and felt it was time to expand my horizons.
For me, the hobby IS building, changing, improving (hopefully) and in general, just trying to put my own stamp on things. But....to each his own.
Wayne

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
I'm missing an option for "I'd like to modify everything but there's still one or two bits and pieces I haven't got around to yet..."