ok guys, heres my first attempt....

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by trainsteve2435, Aug 19, 2004.

1. trainsteve2435

trainsteve2435 Member

hello everyone, just wanted to see if you guys have any ideas or comments on my first ever attempt at building a campbells bridge. it isnt finished yet, but im working on it. please feel free to share your comments and suggestions. thanks!:wave:

Attached Files:

2. trainbud

trainbud New Member

Steve, I can damn near smell all those newly creosoted ties from here! Looks good!
    Are you planning to weather the rail or the bridge? If so, I might suggest a little deeper rust color on the rail sides ~ not a fresh, 'redder' rust, but a more 'brown' shade... even when a new bridge is built, the rails often sit there for awhile before being dragged onto the deck.
  3. Muddy Creek

Muddy Creek Member

Speaking of rust, I'd assume the guard rails would be rusted top and sides. Have to look closer at the next trestle I come upon. Looking good!

Wayne
  4. trainsteve2435

trainsteve2435 Member

hey guys, thanks for the kind words. yes i am going to weather the rails and guard rails, but i have a few other things to do also. i will keep you posted with pictures. thanks again!:wave:
  5. jkristia

jkristia Member

I don't have any suggestions, but I do have one comment... looks goood :thumb: :)
  6. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Steve that's coming along nicely!
  7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Steve,
    Looks real good! So good, in fact, that it has inspired me. I just finished a wood trestle kit and was trying to figure out how to attach the rail with glue being my first choice. After seeing your work, I gotta try spiking it. Did you pre-drill holes in the ties?
    Doc
  8. NYC-BKO

NYC-BKO Member

Steve,
    Looks great. Nice work so far.:thumb:

Now where are you going to put it on my layout-:eek:-haha. Can't wait to see the finished product...
  9. trainsteve2435

trainsteve2435 Member

hey everyone, thanks for the compliments. Doc Holliday, i didnt pre drill the holes for the spikes, i just applied a little elmers white glue to the bottom of the rails, then set them where they belonged. i then placed three sets of trucks of the track, one in the middle and one at each end of the rail. then i laid a 20" flat ruler on the wheel sets and added some weight to the top of the ruler to hold the rails down and in place. when the glue was dried, i then added the spikes. i just used a pair of needle nose pliers(small) and sunk the spikes. it was to difficult to spike the rails without glueing them first. i will post some more pics in a little while. thanks again!:thumb:
  10. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

Steve,
    That look brilliantly square and even. Job well done. :thumb:

I'd thought of using just a standard piece of track, keep the ties, but cut out the "joining" bits and slide the ties up together, and just slide more single ties on from old track offcuts and bits. Dunno. I ain't built any bridges yet........ but I have no intention of burning them before they're built first!! hehehehehe **chortle** ho hum.... :rolleyes: :D
  11. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Great workmanship Steve. Nicely done
  12. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

That looks great. Keep us posted. You put your track down the same way I do my handlaid. I agree its hard to just spike it. Just one minor thing, check your gauge with a NMRA gauge if possible before going on. What if, gasp, the trucks you used were out of gauge? At least run 10 or 20 cars/locos through it and see if it aligns on the end with "factory track". Fred
  13. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

Looks GREAT, Steve... progress photos please.

Thanks... Bob
  14. trainsteve2435

trainsteve2435 Member

ok everyone, here it is. this is pretty much what it will look like, i just have to feather my chalk weathering a little more. let me know what you think. thanks!:wave:

Attached Files:

15. TrainClown

TrainClown Member

Looks real good Steve! Now you can bridge the gap ;) This is the start of something big...........I think. :D

TrainClown :)
  16. trainsteve2435

trainsteve2435 Member

thanks TC, how ya been doing? pretty good here, just takeing it one day at a time. ill have some layout progress pics pretty soon, so hang in there and watch your design come to shape. thanks again!:thumb:
  17. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

Neat work, Steve.....
  18. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Looking better all the time Steve. The weathering looks great. Thanks for the info about laying the track. I'm forcing the start of a curve in the track on my bridge so I have to flex the track as I install it. Not sure quite how to do it. It's actually a trestle bridge so I can't get clamps under it to hold the track while glue dries.
    Doc
  19. trainbud

trainbud New Member

I LLLLIKE IT!! Great job, Steve! The rust on the sides just beginning to show through the paint is a nice touch.
    You planning on using brdge 'shoes' when you place it on the abutments?
    I look forward to seeing the bridge in place.
    Scot
  20. trainbud

trainbud New Member

I LLLLIKE IT!! Great job, Steve! The rust on the sides just beginning to show through the paint is a nice touch.
    You planning on using brdge 'shoes' when you place it on the abutments?
    I look forward to seeing the bridge in place.
    Scot