ok guys, heres my first attempt....

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
hello everyone, just wanted to see if you guys have any ideas or comments on my first ever attempt at building a campbells bridge. it isnt finished yet, but im working on it. please feel free to share your comments and suggestions. thanks!:wave:

Attachments

• campbells bridge1.JPG
    campbells bridge1.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 390
  • campbells bridge2.JPG
    campbells bridge2.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 388
  • campbells bridge3.JPG
    campbells bridge3.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 381
Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
hey guys, thanks for the kind words. yes i am going to weather the rails and guard rails, but i have a few other things to do also. i will keep you posted with pictures. thanks again!:wave:

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Steve,
Looks real good! So good, in fact, that it has inspired me. I just finished a wood trestle kit and was trying to figure out how to attach the rail with glue being my first choice. After seeing your work, I gotta try spiking it. Did you pre-drill holes in the ties?
Doc

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Steve,
Looks great. Nice work so far.:thumb:

Now where are you going to put it on my layout-:eek:-haha. Can't wait to see the finished product...

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
hey everyone, thanks for the compliments. Doc Holliday, i didnt pre drill the holes for the spikes, i just applied a little elmers white glue to the bottom of the rails, then set them where they belonged. i then placed three sets of trucks of the track, one in the middle and one at each end of the rail. then i laid a 20" flat ruler on the wheel sets and added some weight to the top of the ruler to hold the rails down and in place. when the glue was dried, i then added the spikes. i just used a pair of needle nose pliers(small) and sunk the spikes. it was to difficult to spike the rails without glueing them first. i will post some more pics in a little while. thanks again!:thumb:

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Steve,
That look brilliantly square and even. Job well done. :thumb:

I'd thought of using just a standard piece of track, keep the ties, but cut out the "joining" bits and slide the ties up together, and just slide more single ties on from old track offcuts and bits. Dunno. I ain't built any bridges yet........ but I have no intention of burning them before they're built first!! hehehehehe **chortle** ho hum.... :rolleyes: :D

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
ok everyone, here it is. this is pretty much what it will look like, i just have to feather my chalk weathering a little more. let me know what you think. thanks!:wave:

Attachments

• bridge front.jpg
    bridge front.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 329
  • bridge side.JPG
    bridge side.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 342
  • bridge side2.JPG
    bridge side2.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 327
Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
thanks TC, how ya been doing? pretty good here, just takeing it one day at a time. ill have some layout progress pics pretty soon, so hang in there and watch your design come to shape. thanks again!:thumb:

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Looking better all the time Steve. The weathering looks great. Thanks for the info about laying the track. I'm forcing the start of a curve in the track on my bridge so I have to flex the track as I install it. Not sure quite how to do it. It's actually a trestle bridge so I can't get clamps under it to hold the track while glue dries.
Doc

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Steve,
I picked up some spikes this weekend at my semi LHS. The only problem is they are way too long. I'll have about 3/8" sticking out underneath the tie showing under my bridge. Did you have to cut yours?
Doc

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
no Doc, the type of bridge i built (deck girder) was not the same as yours. on myne, the spikes went into the center braceing and was hid from site. also, the spikes i used were shorter than yours too. you might try to find some shorter spikes if you can see them that bad. look forward to seeing your bridge, i too am getting ready to start a Campbells curved timber trestle. let me know if you need anything else!:wave:

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
I'm gonna try with what I've got. It was the last package that my seemi-LHS had. They only order stuff once in a blue moon and I don't want to wait. I should be able to cut them off from below and not have them look too bad. I'm actually working on two separate structures. One is a wooden trestle from a kit. That's the one I'm gonna spike. The other is a scratch-built multi-span plate girder bridge that looks very much like yours (at least the plate girders do). I tried my hand at some rust weathering last night. Compared to yours, mine looks like #@&%$. I'll post some pice when I get it done.
Doc