Ohio Central System sold

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think GWI generally leaves the paint schemes alone on the railroads they buy and probably continue to operate the same way as the original owners unless they see an inefficiency in the operation of the previous road that they can improve on. They have bought up a number of short lines in California and as far as I know they haven't changed a lot on them.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think GWI generally leaves the paint schemes alone on the railroads they buy
Leaves them alone? They've got one of the most recognizable schemes around, and they apply it to all their roads. Obviously, there's a lot of power around in other schemes.

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
Ahh, but the important question is what will happen to the OC Steam Program! Jerry Jacobson (current OC owner) will presumably keep possession, but I have no idea where the collection will be kept. Beyond being a steam buff, I have another horse in this race - my father is working on a roundhouse design for the OC steamers...

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Hmm, I wonder if the Morgan Run shops are included. I suspect that they are not.

I'd bet that Jerry Joe kept passenger trackage rights...much like when the Indiana & Ohio was sold (the old owner has run a few excursions over the line).

For those not as familiar with the OC...

Jerry Joe, the now former owner, is a steam enthusiast. He has a soft spot for NKP steam especially (he has acquired an NKP berk and 0-6-0...plus attempted to get the only surviving NKP 4-6-4). Additionally, he had a collection of vintage diesels that he used on his railroad.

http://www.ocsteam.com/

Although not listed on his website, he also had a hand in the C&O 2700...he helped settle an ownership dispute, and iirc, had its superheaters modified and dropped into his 4-8-4 (which were missing). I don't recall all of the details of this, as it was an odd deal...and I don't think it was ever published.

We rail fans are very blessed to have had one of our own running a railroad.

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
You are correct, Jerry Joe Jacobson is his full name.
There was another article in one of the papers that stated he was building a new roundhouse near his home that would house the steam locomotives.
Charlie

Not building quite yet. The site is still moving around, and there are still some open questions about the design (namely around how modern the building practices will be). Which paper was the article in? I'd like to read it if it's on line.

Matt

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
I had the pleasure of touring Morgan run with Jerry in 1995. It wasn't quite complete but was very impressive. I was hoping to someday see the 1551 operate as I never saw it steamed. I did some work on it when it was in Austintown in 1987.
Anyway you are closer than I am so if you hear more please post.
Charlie

slekjr, you may appreciate the photos at gallery linked below since you've been to Morgan Run. I took these (excepting the cylinder boring) about 3 1/2 years ago while #33 was undergoing restoration.

The visit was fascinating - but a lousy day weather wise; although that illustrates the need for more enginehouse space.

http://goodman312.zenfolio.com/p946604315/

River Run

Mar 17, 2008
There's a wye or something at Morgan Run. I took a look at Google Earth and there is a lot of trackage that is separate from the mainline. Looks like there are freight cars and locomotives stored on it. Being in his mid-60s, I hope Jerry has time to do what he wants to do, I'm ten years younger, and I have projects that seem to be getting out of reach. I'd like to see the #763 and #765 together under steam. NKP #755 sits less than a mile from me looking sad.