OH NOZ! He's Back!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

2. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

Hi Cannon,
    I have not been happy with mine, Noisy, not good at low speed, and impossible to put a decoder into it unless you do some cutting or exchange the frame for an Aztec. I prefer the Kato better.
  3. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Welcome back Cannonball! Thought it seemed quieter 'round here without you (although not THAT much quieter, to be honest:p). As for your question, I think the Spectrum desiels should be good as the steam engines, even though I don't have any Spectrums myself. I've run spectrum before (they are some of the BEST compared to some others), and if the steam can run excelent, the desiels should too (desiels have less moving parts!:p)
  4. Cannonball

Can I get the Katos with rapido couplers?

Model Power seems to be coming out with some good stuff these days but my last one was wired wrong and I never did get the replacement from BLW. :(
  5. Cannonball

I really do like my Baldwin. It even runs on my crappy trackwork. :D

So far the response seems to be 50/50.
  6. Cannonball

No other opinions?
  7. absnut

absnut Member

I have a pair and they work well although, as mentioned above, they are a little louder than other mfgr's F's but, not intolerable. They do come with Rapidos and, I found, a little difficult to replace with MT's. Since I don't use it, DCC is no porblem for me. You might be able to get them for less on ebay, though.

Dick
  8. Cannonball

I'm not DCC and everything I have has rapido couplers so that's not a big deal. I am watching one on eBay now with a pretty good BIN. I may snag it before the day is over.

Thanks everyone for the input!
  9. Cannonball

Well, I just snagged one on eBay for $58.94 counting shipping and insurance. If it runs as good as my Spectrum steamer, I'll be happy. If not, I'll toss it back on the bay and find another Life-Like E8 like the undecorated one I just sold only in Santa Fe colors.
  10. Dave R.

Dave R. Member

Well, I found the F unit I've been dreaming of, "Seaboard Air Line, EMD FT A/B but it's from MT and at $230, all I can do is beat my head on the wall. For now, I think my best option is to buy the Spectrum F7 and try my hand at painting it. Please let us know how the Spec. F7 runs. Do any other mfgr's make a Sharknose S.A.L. in the "Citrus" theme?
    Dave R.
  11. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

A sharknose S.A.L. in the "Citrus" theme? Sorry, I don't. However, Bachmann is scheduled to release some DCC-equiped sharks, so maybe they might release an unpainted vesrion for you to try on.
  12. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

SAL never had Sharks. Their only Baldwin cabs were Centipedes.
  13. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Wait, Dave, are you using the term 'sharknose' to mean F7 units? The corect term for F units is 'covered wagon'.
  14. Dave R.

Dave R. Member

Then, what's a "Bulldog" nose?
    I've cleaned out all the used book stores locally and still don't know "---- from shineolla". So, what is a "Shark" or a "Centipede"?
    How soon will our Spec. F7 be here , Cannonball?
    Thanks,
    Dave
  15. Dave R.

Dave R. Member

Well, I figured out what a "Shark" was last night (very cool). Now, I'm puzzling over "Babyface".
    Dave
  16. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

The nose on all F-units RailPictures.Net Photo » Canadian National Railway EMD F7(A) and later E-units RailPictures.Net Photo » Pennsylvania Railroad EMD E8(A) as compared to the "slant nose" on earlier E-units RailPictures.Net Photo » Rock Island Railroad EMD E6 (A)
    An uncommon type of Baldwin cab unit (actually, several models sharing a nose style) predating the Sharknose style. http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc3200s.jpg
    The Centipede was a huge 12-axle engine, model designation DR-12-8-1500/2. Though it had the Babyface cab, it was not known as one. RailPictures.Net Photo » Pennsylvania Railroad Baldwin BP60
  17. Cannonball

The guy just shipped it from California on Friday so I'm not expecting it before the end of the week. :(