Oh No! Not Another One: The Farm House Diorama

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Since the Water Tower Diorama is about 95% complete and major construction is complete on the Passenger Station Diorama it is time to move on. For inspiration for this diorama I went to my seven year old son who is supposed to be helping with this one. I let him choose from the structures that were assembled. He chose a built-up structure from Model Power called Jordon’s House. He and I have dubbed it the Farm House.

The general layout of the diorama would be a farm house and a few out buildings along a country road. The tracks would parallel the road.

aaa.jpg

aab.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Next we put down the track. It is Atlas code 100 snap track. From the Passenger Station Diorama I learned that I need to overhang the track from the edge of the diorama to make it easy to hook the diorama into the layout. (I didn’t do this on the Passenger Station Diorama and the first time hooking it in was difficult and involved removing some of the ballast and scenery.)

aae.jpg

aaf.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Next came shaping the ground. For this we used paper towels soaked in a “wet” plaster solution. This is where we encountered our first problem. The solution was too wet and when the paper towels dried they were too brittle. We had to remove them after the pictures were taken.

aam.jpg

aan.jpg

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
That is a really interesting project for a Son and Dad to work together on Tom. How did you get a 7 year old interested in model railroading. When my son was that age all he wanted to do was play football or go to football games. No model railroading for him even though I had a small layout then.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks Robin!

My son actually got me back into model railroading. When his interest peaked my wife and I thought that me modeling would be a good thing for all of us. My son’s interest came about because of Thomas the Tank Engine. He watched the videos and went crazy over trains. He has his own HO set which he runs over the layout. He also has several other pieces of rolling stock and is permitted to use certain pieces of equipment from my collection.

cabdriver

Jan 23, 2005
Tom, this is a very interesting and captivating thread. Please continue to post us on your progress...reworks and all. :thumb: :D The pics are great. I love to see work like this done from the VERY BEGINNING! :eek:

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks guys!

I had not worked on this for a while because I did not like something about it. I finally realized that I did not like the fact that the railroad was in a cut. So I removed the foam piece and now have a level diorama.

aao.jpg

With the cut out of the way I was inspired to recarve the drainage ditch and lay plaster soaked paper towels across it to begin the ground process.

aap.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I began coloring the road. First I sanded the road to get somewhat smooth and remove any roughness from the areas I previously stressed. Next I painted the road with a coat of Folk Art Wrought Iron.

aay.jpg

aaz.jpg

aba.jpg

One thing I noticed after the paint dried was that I have a lot of little holes that I did not see during the pour or before painting. Looks like road crews will be out here doing some patch work. I wanted the road to look like an old country road but now I need to figure out a way to patch some little potholes.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Tom,

I have had good success simulating tar lines and patches (on tar paper roofs) by applying craft paint via a glue syringe. Takes a while to dry, but loks good when done...

Andrew