Off Topic -- need advice please

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Okay my friends, here’s a question for those into electronic stuff, I have a Tuner/amplifier (LUXMAN) and it has developed a hiss on the right hand speaker. I am not into electronics as far as radio goes so am looking for somebody here who might be able to tell me how to fix it. (Nicely I hope) I have tried reversing all inputs, but the hiss is still on the right speaker, I changed to another pair of speakers just to check and the problem is still the same. Any idea’s please.

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Shamus;

My first question would be... how old is the amplifier? I ask that because some years ago I had a similar problem with a tube amp and it turned out that the controls were mounted in ceramics of some sort and they get dirty and cause a hissing sort of sound. Obviously if you have reversed wires and changed speakers it much be in the sending unit somewhere!!

Other than that I can't add a thing. Good Luck

Bob

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Shamus,
You pretty well narrowed it down to right channel audio amp. Don't know what circuitry you've got there, if vacuum tube, you probably have a gassy one, if transistor, there's most likely one of them leaking (passing current when it's not supposed to). Beyond that, there's not much more I can do.
Pete

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Shamus, Lets try one more thing just in case the problem is just a dirty control pot. Vigorusly turn the balance control knob back and forth several times and then listen to see if the hiss has gone away. If it has then the pot is dirty and just spraying some contact cleaner in it will cure the problem. Try this with the volume control also as the problem could be in the audio gain circuit.

If that does not do the trick then; if a transistor amp its probably a "leaky" transistor in the right side amp circuit. If a tube type amp its probably a bad amplifier/output tube. Hope this helped.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Thanks guys, the problem was the amp was getting on in years, I took it to my local Hi-Fi store and part exchanged it for a new one.
Only problem is, all my other hi-fi stuff had a black front, this one is silver (Sony) Hhaa well. It works fine. Now the Teac cassette and the Akai reel to reel can play again, along with the CD player and Nad record deck into my Kef concerto speakers.
Music to my ears.

cheers

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
Black and Silver..hmmmm... sounds like a good livery for a railroad to me...LOL. Glad you were able to get something out of the old amp.
I had thought to suggest trying to trade it in for a newer model, but based on the market here, thought that was not a reasonable suggestion. You're fortunate to have a 'local hi-fi store' that still takes trade ins. All we have any more are large chain-store outlets and the electronic section at Sears.
Bye now
VGN :cool:

shamus,

Just hearing the names of your equipment was music to my ears. I thought perhaps I was the only one still around who knew about Teac and Akai and vinyl and quadraphonic, and so forth. I still have (and use!!!) in one part of my house a Pioneer QX-8000A Quad receiver. Until recently it was hooked up to an Akai 1730D Quad reel-to-reel deck, among other goodies. The poor old Akai finally bit the dust, but I got good use out of it for 30+ years. I also still have but seldom use a JVC CD-4 demodulator hooked to a Garrard turntable. I have other "stuff," but I won't go into it here.

Thanks for the opportunity to drift back in time. :)

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Casey,
Don't tell me you have a Garrard 401 turntable, if you have, I will trade you a brand new locomotive for it.

Bill,
Needs to look good (Wifey you know)

Shamus

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Casey, Funny you should mention good memories at the mention of Teac, etc. I had the same reaction. But come on, the only one who still remembers them? We're not that old! I worked for U.S. Pioneer for 7 years back in the late seventies when audio equipment of this nature was just becoming popular with the masses. Prior to that it was pretty much a hobbiest type thing. I still have a lot of operable old equipment myself, RT1050 reel to reel, Akai cassette and M series amps.

By the way, welcome to the Gauge.

Gary

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Ok, I was gonna let the first couple posts go, but now I have to put in my 4 Cents (Inflation) :)

I have an Akai 173OD-SS 4 Ch "Surround Sound" hooked up to the computer. I can actually save the music from the tapes from 20 yrs ago, and edit them. then of course - burn them onto CD's.
Is that neat technology or what??? :D :cool: :D

I have to be careful about all the hissing & other "old" sounds, they all record perfectly in digital. :) -- Mikey

P.S. - Welcome Casey!!! :) :) :)

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi N-gauger,
Do you also use Nero - Burning Rom and Goldwave to make wave files of your music. I do, also write my own on Cakewalk (Music proggy)

Now Casey, about that Zero 100, I will still do a deal :D:D

I wish I could find the Thorens TD 124 international, that was some deck.

Shamus

triman

Jun 19, 2002
Melbourne, Victoria
Visit site
Harking back to the days of real music I still use a Sony TC-540 reel-to-reel tape deck I purchased in Japan in 1970. It sits beside an Akai cassette player that has full metal internals, gearing etc, none of this plastic rubbish that melts the first time the temperature gets over 100F and thermal meltdown is the only thing not covered by warranty!.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Triman,
Yes I know what you mean, I have a Teac cassette and Akai 4000O DS Reel to Reel. I got rid of the faulty amp and bought a Sony.

Shamus

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Audio

Didn't know we had so many reel to reel audiophiles out there. If you might be interested and want to burn CD's from reel to reel tapes and don't have DSP software I've got a TEAC Dolby Noise Reduction Unit that will take out that anoying hiss. This is an older unit and I don't have the manual but it seems to work well. Prefer to trade for trains Ho buildings or Hon3 rolling stock. Make me an offer...I have no use for it, but you pay the shipping.

Attachments

• teac.jpg
    teac.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 23