off topic, accomplishments

N

nachoman

Every monday, there is a "weekennd modeling accomplishments" thread. On this forum, we have had kitbash challenges and layout parties, and sometimes I am frustrated with myself for being behind. But I usually get something done over the weekend, whether it be railraod related or not. Of course, I have tons of thesis work to do, and fix the car, and job searches, and etc...

But does anyone else have those friends or family memebers who seem to do absolutely nothing? Ones where their lives havent changed over the years except for the basic necessities? Why do such people frustrate me so much sometimes?

thanks for letting me vent,
kevin

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Folks like that aren't living, they're surviving, and one can really only pity them. Just be careful you don't emerse yourself so much in all that stuff that you're no different than them, still no life, just busier. The phrase "Running around like a chicken with its head cut off" forgets one salient point---the chicken's still dead, regardless of its progress.:thumb:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
shaygetz said:
The phrase "Running around like a chicken with its head cut off" forgets one salient point---the chicken's still dead, regardless of its progress.:thumb:

Also reminds me of the saying "Don't confuse movement with progress".

Andrew

Wabash Banks

Mar 11, 2005
Indiana
There are lots of weekends where my goal is to do nothing, or more precisely only what I want to take the time to do. I have been where you are with being that busy. Sometimes I am still like that. Mostly though, I have passed that stage. I purposely take the time to stop from the hectic pace of life. I find that really irritates really driven people. You don't always have to be doing something. Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing but enjoy the passing of time.

liven_letdie

Mar 22, 2005
Turlock, CA
www.downthelinetrains.com
I heard a quote from, I think John Lennon, thats was something like "If you decide to waste the whole day and you enjoyed it then it wasn't really a waste". Some people like to do nothing and as the other gentleman said, to enjoy passing the time. Others might not have deiscovered the joys of railroads and some other people are better left surviving in their corner of the world anyway.:D In the poll about what you do with a a day off i am the only one that put nothing. I didn't actually mean I do nothing at all. I mean i do nothing particular, I do what I feel like, which is sometimes not that much at all and other times I surprise myself. To each his own I guess.

Cory

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I suppose it's the difference between planning to do nothing, and having it just turn out that way (i.e. it is just your default position). As Dan said, sometimes the plan is to do nothing... ;)

Andrew

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Some times I'm so tired I just "veg out." Most imes I have so much to do that I don't have time for trains even. I plan to "semi retire" on May 1 and hope to have more time to do my hobbies then. As far as accomplishments this past weekend, I got my Firebird runnig with the help of a friend. I have had a problem with the car, it would be really sluggish, and then without moving the throttle, it would try to put me in the back seat. I went to my buddy's shop on Monday and we put a scanner on it, but couldn't pin down the problem although it was happening at idle while on the scanner. He had put a second "bung" in the exhaust system on the other bank for a wide band o2 sensor perviously for use in tuning. We removed the plug from that bung and installed a second o2 sensor, and started seeing some problems. It looked like one set of fuel injectors was not firing intermittantly. We found the plug for the injectors behind the engine block and found one wire broken. It would quit making contact and the engine would go to 4 cylinders, then it would make contact and I would get all 8 cylinders firing! We soldered it together and put heat shrink over it and the problem is solved, but it took us 2 hours to find it!

N

nachoman

I suppose many may see the model railroad as a waste of time and money. They may view me as "wasting my weekend" by detailing a box car rather than "getting a life" and buying a bote and taking it to the lake.

But these arent the people I am really talking about, I am talking about the kind that do nothing all week long, then complain to me about the problems in their lives. Life definitely is not wasted as long as one is enjoying his/herr time. Sure bad luck happens, but I am running out of sympathy for those that don't even try to rectify their complaints.

kevin