Off Topic: A pioneer died this morning

iis612

Comedian, actor, writer and satirist George Carlin passed away early this morning at the age of 71.
I don't know if any of you were fans, but I was. He inspired me to ask questions and dismiss the flock mentality. I will miss him.
Some of you may know him better as the original voice of Thomas the Tank Engine, or the Conductor of "Shining Time Station."

logicman

Greybeard
"I've always been sort of anti-authoritarian and I really don't like arbitrary rules and regulations that are essentially designed to get people in the habit of conforming,"

That should have been enough to win George Carlin a global following.

N

nachoman

Kinda scary when somebody dies suddenly. Yes, he was only 71, but it was still sudden.

Kevin

abutt

Us hobby types respect the real humor of guys like George Carlin. The first thing I heard as the radio alarm went off this morning. He was due in CT in a week or so. Was planning to catch his act. Sad. He'll be missed.
Allan

Mountain Man

Comedian, actor, writer and satirist George Carlin passed away early this morning at the age of 71.
I don't know if any of you were fans, but I was. He inspired me to ask questions and dismiss the flock mentality. I will miss him.
Some of you may know him better as the original voice of Thomas the Tank Engine, or the Conductor of "Shining Time Station."

The Hippy Dippy Waether Man with the hippy dippy weather, man - and the man forever famous for saying those "seven words you can't sday on television".

One of the great humorists our time. I just hope God has a sense of humor to match, because he's going to need it.

"What do mean I can't say @#%&*! in Heaven?! What kind of a @#$%&*!! place Is this?!"

doctorwayne

My sympathies to his family and friends, but I wasn't a big fan. As for Thomas narrators, Ringo, in my opinion, was the best. ;):-D

Wayne

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Carlin had lots of great observations... One of my favourites (among many) was the routine about leftovers...

"Leftovers make you feel great twice. Once when you're putting them in the fridge: 'I'm being responsible. I am saving food.' And again, six months later when you throw them in the garbage: 'I'm being responsible. I am saving my life.'"

Great stuff. So long, George.

Andrew

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
In order to give him a fitting tribute, you had to be listening to him around 1970. we had the eternally "Nice" comedian Bill Cosby never saying a "Four letter word" as he described Noah building the Ark" or any of his Fat Albert skits... He is still a "voice" to anyone and everyone....

Then we had George... The opposite, I never heard him say 3 sentences in a row without a four letter word :D :D

Both of their stand up acts were, and are timeless... But George taught us that the government is sometimes wrong in what they do, what they preach and what they 'let us know"

He was a contrast to every "Nuclear Family" Mom, pop and 2 - 1/2 kids and the white fence....

He forced us to want to hear more... and he gave us that "More" --- funny, hysterical, sometimes coarse in his views. but he was a masterful Comedian... I just saw him on his present tour, a few months ago in phila.... He was as good now, as he was in the 70's......

R I P....................................

He was always entertaining, and I think had a great view and understanding of things. I saw him perform at the MGM in Vegas a few years back, great show.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I remember when I first heard that he was going to be the conductor on "Thomas" that there must be more than seven words you can't say at Shining Time Station! :) I was impressed by his versatility and thought he did a fine job in that role. I enjoyed most of his humor and appreciated the times he made me wince...and think.

Ralph

e-paw

George Carlin was like that little voice in your head that said " Hay !!! wait , the world is full of $#!| " He boiled things down to there absolute basics. He showed you how to see things for what they really are and made you laugh doing it. He was one of the greats , Ahead of his time for 50 years in his field, truly missed.