off the subject

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
this is not hobby related but i dont inhabit the web with any other groop ,was wondering if any of you have been flooded with fake e mail that comes as a microsoft update containg a viruses.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Jim,

There has been email around for some time now from "support@microsoft.com". It is best to delete any of these messages since they do contain a virus. Microsoft does not send out email in this manner. I have only received one of these and deleted it without reading it, but I have received a flood of those other emails that was going around a few weeks ago with viruses, about 100 or more a day at one of my addresses. I finally had to tell Yahoo to shut it down.

I am just upset that the kid that did this first said he did, but after talking to a lawyer now claims he didn't.

Don

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Jim,

This was in Kim Kamando's newsletter this morning:

WORM MASQUERADES AS MICROSOFT E-MAIL NOTICE
Did you get an e-mail along with an attachment purportedly from
Microsoft stating that it is the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch"
update? Don't fall for it! The attachment apparently contains
W32/Gibe@MM, a variant of a worm that appeared in 2002. Supposedly,
the e-mails are originating in Slovakia and the Netherlands. If you
receive this message, do not open the attachment. Delete it. And keep
your anti-virus software updated.

And yet another warning found:

A new mass-mailing virus masquerading as a security patch from Microsoft is on the loose and anti-virus experts say it has the ability to steal account information and e-mail server details from infected systems.

This obviously is not the simple email that's been going around in the past.

Don

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Scamers Too

Haven't seen that one yet but I sure have been getting a ton of spam lately. Especially those "scam" letters from various so called "government ministers" in various African countries. Sorta figure that I ought to be worth well over a billion $$$ just from last week alone:D :D :D :p Now would anyone be interested in 100 G Scale Brass Big Boys that I need to secretly get out of the country? :D :D :D :p

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
If I don't recognize the name on the e-mail, I delete it...even if its from Mircosoft.

I got one of those letters once...ONCE!. Looked up the country, didn't even exsist. Replied to the sender that it was a scam and I had forwarded his e-mail address to my local FBI board(I didn't). Haven't received one since...about four years now!

I can only imagine that some people are gullible enough to fall for it.

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
Jim,
I haven't checked to see what email address you are using in public on forums and things, but if you are using your home address - big mistake. Many of us have set up hotmail (or name your favourite flavour) address for public consumption. I have removed my "real" home address from anything public. This has helped - big time.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by rsn48
Jim,
I haven't checked to see what email address you are using in public on forums and things, but if you are using your home address - big mistake. Many of us have set up hotmail (or name your favourite flavour) address for public consumption. I have removed my "real" home address from anything public. This has helped - big time.
You're right on there. The address I used on public forums was the one attacked a few weeks ago and was disposable. A friend of mine uses his real address on fourms and news groups and now he is paying the price. He estimates that he had around 1400 of these messages yesterday.

Don

Peirce

Dec 28, 2000
Southbury, CT, USA
www.geocities.com
I have received several of these "Microsoft" messages, did a virus scan on a couple of them, just to confirm my suspicions. When they came up as virus carriers, I deleted them. The foreign diplomat ones seem to come and go. They are pure scam.