Of interest to cell phone owning modelers and their kinfolk...

shaygetz

Do this ASAP and pass it on to your friends and family. You can

register three numbers each time you log on.

Starting Jan 1, 2005, all cell phone numbers will be made public to

telemarketing firms. So this means as of Jan 1, your cell phone may

start ringing off the hook with telemarketers, but unlike your home

phone, most of you pay for your incoming calls. These telemarketers

will eat up your free minutes and end up costing you money in the long

run.

****** No Deadline **** (Edited by N Gauger)

They said that you need to call 1-888-382-1222 from the cell phone that you wish

to have put on the "do not call list", or you can do it online at the National Do

Not Call Registry;

https://www.donotcall.gov/register/Reg.aspx

I suggest you do it on-line. It is quick and easy.

theBear

I knew better than getting one of those things.

I spent from 1976 to 2001 tied to a beeper/cell phone setup.

I also registered with the do not call list back when it came out.

If I get a political, survey firm, or non profit calling they get the one of two things the riot act read to them or I just hang up.

dwight77

Suggest you take a look at the urbanlegends.about.com web site and see what they have to say about telemarketers calling cell phones and other outlandish emails for that matter. I think you might be a bit too worried about nothing.

Shay,

unfortunately, I have to agree with dwight. Who authorizes/directs EVERY cellular phone provider to release their entire phone directories to paying companies. Where did you get this info from if you don't mind me asking?

OTOH, It is never a bad idea to register your numbers with the "do not call registry"! It just seems that someone might be pullin yer chain about everyone's number coming up public. Thanks for the info though!:D :wave:

-doc

shaygetz

docsnavely said:
Where did you get this info from if you don't mind me asking?

-doc

I got it from my Uncle, who can normally be trusted not to lead me astray on things like this. Normally, I too, would check out the urban legends site on things like this but I trusted the source. Having been in sales, it certainly didn't seem beyond me that this could happen. In fact, my wife had recently received a sales pitch on hers, certainly an unwelcome thing on our current phone plan. My "associates" Bubba, Hyram and Billy Joe Ray Bob are currently enroute to said uncle to "arbitrate" my public humiliation. :p

Folks, this is areal threat. Lot's of people now are using thier Cell Phone as their primary Number. that is, when they write a check at a store, are asked their number by a phone order or other such means, theya re entered into a database. these databases are then usually sold, without the customers Knowledge, to telemarketing target companies.

Believe me, a good 25-30% of cell phone users are already getting solicitation calls. In fact, my grandfather (who's 85) get's at least 1 a week on his and he only has it to talk to family and never gives out his number.

Be safe, register your numbers.

spitfire

SteamerFan said:
Lot's of people now are using thier Cell Phone as their primary Number. that is, when they write a check at a store, are asked their number by a phone order or other such means, theya re entered into a database. these databases are then usually sold, without the customers Knowledge, to telemarketing target companies.

I never write a cheque at a store. If I'm not paying cash, I use my ATM. When the clerks ask me for my personal information (which they do, regardless) I politely decline.

Unfortunately, the easiest way to get on the telemarketers lists is to give to charity. They readily sell their lists to other charities. My mom gives to several and she gets at least 2 calls per day. I don't give to charity and get almost no calls. (Ok, that's not stricly true, I give a monthly donation to Amnesty International.)

Val

shaygetz

Thanks for the link, Scott. I trusted the source and so did not question it. Since I also have 17.5 acres, a gun and a shovel, this will not happen again ;)

theBear

Scott,

I was a very effective pre-emptive strike on the telemarketing crowd.

Since some 3 million cell phone numbers got added to the do not call list.

shaygetz,

Any chance of using that land to plant
curse.gif
telemarketers instead
thumbsup.gif
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Ok - Now I'm really confused..... The 411 list is real.. They will give your info to a Directory...

The companies swear the numbers will never be available to telemarketers.

Not everyone believes that, however, as evidenced by a privacy protection bill already introduced in Congress which would modify the plan to allow 411 callers to be directly connected to requested parties without the latter's phone numbers being given out.

so - if we register - and congress passes this ammendment - then we're still ok.. :) :)

But - there still is no deadline.... I think I got it now :) anyway - I heard about this on the news & they said just to be safe - you really should register all your phone & pager & cell numbers - .......Unless you really trust what Congress will & will not do in the future....... We have 36 Nextel Phones here at work, we registered them all the first time this came up.. :) :)

F

Fred_M

Unless you don't trust the government enough to put your phone number on their no call list. I don't.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
dash10 said:
Unless you don't trust the government enough to put your phone number on their no call list. I don't.

:D :D :D Good Point!!!!!!! I did put my home number on it last year & I have not recieved a single call in a year!!!! It's wotking for me!!! :) :)

Note: Businesses that you already have an account with, Cable, Electric, Credit Cards, Etc - can still call... But it's few & far between.. Not like the 3 - 4 calls a day we used to get :) :) :)

theBear

dash10 said:
The good thing about the do not call list is if you have access to the web guvment don't have to lift a finger, you put yourself on it.

Trust a bunch of lawyers? One would have to be crazy to do that. I'd want the lawyers on a choke chain where I could give it a really hard yank every couple of minutes
cool.gif

3phase

I'll tell ya what, i have never had a land line. I have always had cell phones. Land lines dont make any sence to me. If i'm at work and my wife breakes down in the car what is she suposta do? I get cable internet and my plan has unlimited nights "starting at 7pm" and weekends. other than that 1200 anytime minutes, and cingular customers all talk free. So all my family and moste of my friends have cingular. The can call me anytime and talk free!

and the plan is $65 a month for 2 phones..... What more could i ask for? Oh yeah, my phones get internet, e-mails and instant messages. And tons of other things i dont use......datebook........

Shay,

Isn't that a harsh punishment for someone looking out for you? I would agree at a minimum, there should be a public humiliation session.:thumb: :D For being an urban legend, it did turn out to be an effective tool against those telemarketers.

BTW, did you hear, companies are now out-sourcing their telemarketing..........................................................to FRANCE! :D

-doc

shaygetz

docsnavely said:
Shay,

Isn't that a harsh punishment for someone looking out for you?

-doc

Maybe for blood kin...he's what we call 'round these parts, "shirt-tail kin". ;)

I did settle down a bit when I figgered that the deadline is the only rumor. The cell phone companies have only said they wouldn't. There's no real assurance that they wouldn't eventually do it. I love legalize...