O27 Gauge Remote Switches... Fiber Pins

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Which rails get fiber pins and which get steel pins for remote switches? I know I need fiber pins, I'm just not sure which rails to put them in.
  2. Cannonball

3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

The fiber pins should go in the rails that come through the frog, the two short rails that make a V.
  4. Cannonball

Cool... Then the center rail and outside one get regular steel pins?
  5. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

Cannonball - I can't help you out there, but i do remember Pop not having the proper fiber pins. His fix at the time was a good old fashioned round toothpick..:thumb: This was done in front of me more than a quarter of a century ago..
  6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Right! If you look at it, the short rails are the only ones that have an end that doesn't connect to the rest of the system. If you insulated the other rails, you'd have to insulate it at the point end as well and then you'd bee in real trouble. When a wheelset contacts the insulated rail it completes the circuit and turns the switch. You can do a quick test by connecting the two running rails at the end with a bit of wire and seeing what happens.:thumb:
  7. Cannonball

Cool! Thanks! :)