O/O27 Boxcar Kits?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Is there anyone who makes kits for building O or O27 gauge boxcars and other rolling stock? I've been looking around the net and have come up with ziltch. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. They need to be compatible with Lionel of course and not too pricey.
  2. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I wish. There's not much in the way of kits out there at all, even in 2-rail O scale these days (which aren't compatible with Lionel, though you could put Lionel trucks on them, but then they'd dwarf O27). I've scratchbuilt a car now and then and put Lionel trucks on them, but I'm not an accomplished painter so I haven't been real happy with what I've been able to make myself yet. I just measured an existing car, then cut out pieces from sheet plastic or metal and put it all together with glue or solder.

It can be done, but most people seem to just want to take something out of the box these days. Even Plasticville comes only in built-up form now, rather than kits, even though every Plasticville kit I've ever seen assembles in 10 minutes or less, and sometimes two.
  3. Cannonball

Well.... That sorta sucks. :(
    Thanks for the input though. :) (Again. ;) )
  4. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

deleted as duplicate
  5. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

Actually, there is a lot more than the casual observer would know in 2 and 3 rail O kits. What there is not much of is mass-produced, plastic kits similar to HO's Athearn Blue Box - Red Caboose being the exception (see the O scale tab at http://www.red-caboose.com/cgi-bin/e_catalog/catalog.cgi?&page=new_product_pages/front_page.html). K-Line once made some of their mdoels as kits, I've owned a couple of them. Some might be available on eBay occasionally.

For something different, take a look at http://www.yeoldehuffnpuff.com/OFreight.HTM. I think this mostly the old Silver Streak line - craftsman wood kits for the most part. Labelle (http://www.rrhistorical.com/cgi/Labelle_Models/labelle.cgi?ACTION=thispage&thispage=page12.html&ORDER_ID=224810214) also has a line of O freight and passenger cars, again as craftsman wood kits. Because these kits are of older prototypes, they may fit in reasonably well with O27 stuff. The HO versions of these kits generally take me about 4-5 evenings to assemble, including painting and decaling. Not cheap to buy, but the cost per hour is much better than RTR and "shake-the-box" kits. And not any more difficult to assemble than a complex plastic kit.

just my thoughts, you choices
  6. Geno

Geno Member

Cannonball,
    What exactly are you looking for in a kit? Is it lower cost, older freight car models, something to build, etc? IDM (now sold by Atlas) used to sell really inexpensive semi-scale freight cars RTR- check Ebay for them.

Geno
  7. Cannonball

Actually, I'm looking for something a little less expensive than the typical Lionel boxcar. By that I don't mean cheaply made but something that costs at least a little less since it's a do it yourself sort of thing. Also, I'd like to find them blank so they could be customized with my railroad's logo somehow. (either decals or painted on with a template) I'd like to find a set of passenger cars that weren't so outlandish in cost as most of them are as well.
  8. Geno

Geno Member

Unfortunately the majority of traditional rolling stock is RTR- and price varies according to market value. I bought about 2 dozen IDM frieght cars for my wifes' nephews a few years ago for about $5 each- they probably have gone up since the Atlas merger.

Have you checked Ebay for older Lionel rolling stock? You could probably find an old passenger car set to repaint. I'm guessing about $10-20 a car.

Geno
  9. Cannonball

Some good looking models but just as much and in some cases more than the Lionel stuff.
    I was kind of hoping that there would be something undecorated in about the $15.00 range so I could build up a fleet of customized cars for the railroad.

I don't want to repaint the ones I have because those were all collected in my younger years and have their own place.
  10. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Canonball, a set of Lionel (or compatible) trucks usually ends up selling for about $9. What do beat-up MPC-era Lionel boxcars end up selling for?

One cheap scenario would be to pick up some beat-up Marx 4-wheel box cars with the fake trucks molded onto the bottom, cut off the fake trucks (it's easy to do), then make a wooden frame (also easy), mount some Lionel/K-Line/whatever trucks on them, repaint the car, and you'll end up with something that looks just like a Lionel or K-Line O27 boxcar, because K-Line used the Marx tooling. You'd be looking at $9 for the trucks. The Marx cars generally sell for less than $5, especially if they're beat up. The problem is that most people who have them assume they're not worth their time to sell on eBay (which may be true).

By the time you pay shipping, it may be cheaper to buy some Lionel junkers from the '70s and early '80s. Better yet, find a train show (supposedly there's one in KC either this month or next) and look under the tables (literally) for some junkers. Sometimes I see boxcar bodies for a couple of bucks each.
  11. Geno

Geno Member

Sure seems like alot of work for some simple freight cars. I'd check into what's out there before buying all of these parts- you could come out ahead timewise if you just bought RTR. IDM's are selling on each for about $17-20 each- not as cheap as used MPC, but much nicer.

Geno
  12. Cannonball

What are RTR, IDM and MPC????
  13. Geno

Geno Member

RTR- ready to run
    IDM- a small company that came out a few years ago with an affordable line of 027 freight cars. They have since been bought up by Atlas O.

MPC- forget what the exact initials stand for, but basically 70's era Lionel, when it was owned by General Mills. Not a high point in Lionel history- alot of poorly engineered trains introduced in that time.

Hope that helps,

Geno
  14. Cannonball

Ok.
    Now for my next question.... Who all makes Lionel comatible couplers?
  15. Geno

Geno Member

Anything that is considered 3-rail O gauge (with the exception of some early Marx couplers) has a standard oversized knuckle-type coupler which are compatible from one brand to another.

Modern Lionel, MTH, K-Line, Atlas, Weaver, Williams, RMT, IDM, have rolling stock with couplers that are compatible.

...Next question?:D

Geno
  16. Cannonball

Does IDM have a website or is it just Atlas now?
  17. Geno

Geno Member

You can see the new IDM releases on the Atlas website.

Geno