O-gauge turntable

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by hilldrum, Sep 18, 2007.

1. hilldrum

hilldrum Member

Hey all,

Lately I've been looking for a turntable to buy for my layout. I saw the one that atlas has to offer, but I'm not too amused about it simply for the fact that the roundhouse must be purchased seperate, and it just don't look that realistic to me for some reason. Does anyone know a reasonably priced turntable, whether it be manual or electric, that could work for me. If you happen to have any connections, I would kind of like to have an old lionel kind. Thank you

-- Hill
  2. Dr. John

Dr. John Member

Actually, the old Lionel turntables are far less realistic than the Atlas model. Rare, expensive and temperamental too, for that matter!

Bowser and Diamond Scale Models make realistic, pit style turntables for O gauge, unfortunately they are fairly expensive.

I'm pretty sure you will have to purchase a roundhouse separately for any turntable you might buy.

Good luck in your search!
  3. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Here is a pic of the Lionel 375 turntable. And yes, it does not work very well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It runs on 2 'D' size batteries. :cry:

:wave:
  4. Brutus

Brutus Member

Now that (I think it's gargraves) there is a single rail track on the market, I wonder if someone will make a scratchbuilt with that? Also, if you check on the woodcraft website, they have a metal turntable that is on bearings and would probably make an excellent base for a manual train turntable...? It's for making lazy susans or turn tables for television sets, but I've seen one in person and they are very sturdy.
  5. cnw1995

cnw1995 Member

This is going to look funny in text, but I purchased a $4 dollar plastic 'lazy susan' at Wal-Mart and have enjoyed customizing it as a short-turnable - It almost exactly fits a standard O gauge piece of track -- but then again, I run mostly trolleys or tank engines.
  6. Brutus

Brutus Member

7. dbaker48

dbaker48 Member

Good thing about the Lazy Susan, is don't have a fortune tied up in the thing. Getting track alignment and connection "could" be fun, though.
  8. Dr. John

Dr. John Member

I think the lazy Susan idea is great for simply turning a locomotive. Not so sure about multiple tracks - the indexing would be a challenge.
  9. hilldrum

hilldrum Member

Well, I guess that's why it's called modeling. I'll keep in mind the lazy susan thing. Frankly, I think it's a right good idea. Just because it's chepa don't mean it won't work. Thanks for the advice yall.
  10. Brutus

Brutus Member

I think the indexing could be done using the "bridge" piece or whatever you call that thing that rotates on the turntable. If you are willing to turn the wheel in the same direction, it would be simple to have a drop down arm or lever on the opposite side of each piece of track from the direction you are turning from that would stop the "bridge" when in the down position. Turn the bridge until it stops and then hold it still and apply power. The switch/arm could even supply the power! The arm would flip up or down out of the way to "de-index" that section of track.... Does that make sense?
  11. cnw1995

cnw1995 Member

Mine is unpowered and right in front of me. I move it with the big skyhook. Easy to line up the tracks. I've experimented with using it for a double-track length that fits the longest of my engines - a 2-6-2 and tender. Works fine - but I had to shim up the surrounding tracks. Oh, I forgot - I use a K-Line piece of track with those red/green screw-tabs to wire it directly to its own little transformer that also powers the approach track.
  12. Brutus

Brutus Member

13. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

And they have yet to ship the first turntable! Saw a sample at York and they do look great. I think (not sure) that they have shipped transfer tables.
  14. cnw1995

cnw1995 Member

John, was the Ross unit just track? I think I saw a photo of it as a big box that would kind of insert into a layout
  15. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

16. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

17. Brutus

Brutus Member

Those look pretty darn good - ever used one?
  18. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

No, wrong era for me for their HO scale. I only need a 65ft or so in both HO and HOn3, gallows or A frame preferred. And my 3 rail layouts never seem to go beyond 4x8. But, the Bowser turntables do look nice.
  19. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

Don't want to run down anyones product, but there have been a lot of negative posts regarding the Bowser O gauge turntables on other forums over the last few years. They apparently take a lot of TLC to get them to function properly. I have no personal experience with them.
  20. dbaker48

dbaker48 Member

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you John. Our club has one, it doesn't work either. Everytime the quesstion comes up about fixing it the meeting is dismissed and the subject is quickly dropped. I'm waiting for them to decide to remove it, then maybe I could buy it at a good price. And take it on as a major project.