O gauge track question

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by patfield, Jul 18, 2006.

1. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

ray: I think that cleaning the track may not be cost efficient. I have a loop from about 55 years ago, and it's got some major rust on it. I tried cleaning one section, but I don't think I'll get anywhere with it.
    So clean one section and see how long it takes.
  2. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Ray, if you want to try cleaning the track, I would suggest Bar Keeper's Friend and a green kitchen scouring pad. Whether it's worth it really depends on how bad of shape the track is in. I had some 50-year-old track that belonged to my dad that cleaned up really nicely and some that I had to junk. I'd suggest trying to find the best piece and the worst piece you've got and see how long each one takes, then decide from there.

The angle on 027 and O31 full curves is 45 degrees, 8 to a circle. O42 is 30 degrees, 12 to a circle. O54 and O72 are 22.5 degrees, 16 to a circle. O42 is the oddball; it doesn't play well with the others. I learned that the hard way. :(
  3. raybanduchi

raybanduchi New Member

Okay one last ?

In termns of layering - what goes first track, then roads, then accessories , then scenery?
    Thanx for all the assistance thus far!
  4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Ray, if you ask three different people you'll probably get three different answers. How complex do you want your scenery to be? In the '50s, many traditional O or S gauge layouts had the roads and grass painted on the plywood, then the track and accessories were laid down. Regardless, you'll probably want to put down your basic ground cover first, then you can do either your roads or your track next. You'll probably want to do accessories next, then do more work on your scenery. This order allows you to have trains running before the layout is totally complete.
  5. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

That is the exact order that I do it. As Dave said, it allows you to run and TEST your track without anything in the way.

:wave:
  6. Thrillseeker

Thrillseeker New Member

This is a great thread. I was trying to find out if I was correct in my assuption that I needed O72 track for Christmas so I can build my layout in my basement. I appreciate the info!
  7. Brian R.

Brian R. Member

Only thing you may change is if you are looking to add cork roadbed, i would lay that down first. as spanky says, TEST the track and layout first.
  8. Brian R.

Brian R. Member

9. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Couplers: now for the buts.
    Marx, as above.
    Anything before World War 2; that's when Lionel developed their knuckle coupler.
    Anything that's not Lionel before the 1980s (not sure exactly).
    Atlas O from the 1970s.
    Reproductions of earlier trains.
    Modern European tinplate e.g. ACE trains.
  10. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

You might look for used standard O track, O 31, at shows, flea markets and on ebay.

This uses the Lionel O-22 switches, about the best ever made..

Used track is worth about $.50 to $.75 cents a section.

I have pounds of it, some made by companies that have been out of bussiness for over 80 years.

And or you may choose to remain soley with Fast Track.

In my soon to be started layout I am using O 22 switches with the Fast Track to say money and also I have about 10 of them in storage.

I like Fast track for the 36 inch radious curves abd the road bed. With a little practice you can shade the bed and add a little ballast to the lay out for a verry good looking effect.
  11. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member