O Gauge Questions About The Track

Mexico

Hi,

My questions are on the O Gauge and I’m going to use the 54in. diameter curved track, O-27.

I’m just starting out and I need some help. I want to put a shelf up on the walls going around a large room 45ft. by 20ft. and it will be about 8ft. up from the floor. I don’t have a sample of the track yet so I need the dimension of the width of the overall width of the track, not the width between the rails. Then how wide do I need to make the base for the track to lie on? I know diameter is used for the track but does the diameter come from the outside rail, the middle rail or the inside rail? If I had the track already I wouldn’t have to ask these questions.

Maybe there is a guide out that would help me with building this type of layout.
Any help would be great for ideas. Thanks

I’m building a new house in Mexico at this time and have always wanted to have a train going around the room. I had trains when I was a kid and loved them. I’m now retired and I guess I’m returning back into a kid again. haha

Thanks again for any help,

Mexico

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Mexico,

Welcome to The Gauge!

Sounds like a great plan. I can only offer a "general" response though - others will undoubtedly have more detail. The rule of thumb is that radii or diameters are measured from the centreline of the track (in this case, it would be the middle rail).

You can look for clearance standards for all scales at www.nmra.org

Andrew

Mexico

Andrew, thanks for your help.

I thought that's the way it would be, coming from the center. But better to be sure than sorry. I'm going to start building the layout before I order the track.

What kind of power unit should I use for a layout of this size or would I need more than one?

Thanks again

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Sorry, you have just about exhausted my knowledge of O / O-27... I'm in HO... ;)

We have a "larger" scale forum for G, O & S here at The Gauge -> Click Here. There are a number of very active members there, so you might try a new post with a title like "Need recommendations for starting O-27 layout".

Good luck!

Andrew

Mexico

MasonJar said:
Sorry, you have just about exhausted my knowledge of O / O-27... I'm in HO... ;)

We have a "larger" scale forum for G, O & S here at The Gauge -> Click Here. There are a number of very active members there, so you might try a new post with a title like "Need recommendations for starting O-27 layout".

Good luck!

Andrew

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum but thanks for your help.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
I didn't mean you were in the wrong forum (after all, it is a technical question... ;) ) just that you might get better info in the dedicated forum...

Being an HO guy, I am unsure of the answer to your question (I do know that O gauge takes more power than HO, but that is about it...). And giving a descriptive heading to your question will help people know if they can help you or not...

Andrew

Mexico

MasonJar said:
I didn't mean you were in the wrong forum (after all, it is a technical question... ;) ) just that you might get better info in the dedicated forum...

Being an HO guy, I am unsure of the answer to your question (I do know that O gauge takes more power than HO, but that is about it...). And giving a descriptive heading to your question will help people know if they can help you or not...

Andrew

Andrew
Sometimes I don't write like I want it to sound like and I was just happy you sent me to the right place. To bad I didn't want the smaller setup like you have, you would have been the kind of help I like.
icon7.gif

Thanks