nuther CN question

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
in 61 when CN went from green& gold to black with orange ends anda kinda off white noodle , did this happen to Fs as well? I,ve seen pic,s of lotsa road switchers in black but all the F,s and the Alco cab units all seem to have stripes.The only pic of a black (no stripes)F is a drawing on the CN SIG. Can anybody srraighten me out?

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
The paint scheme changed for all equipment at that time. The road switchers wnet to the scheme you mentioned (black/orange/ white wet noodle) The F-units went to a black body, orange/red cab, and white stripes down the side. I don't think I've ever seen the units painted without the side stripes.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
While it is true that there were all-new schemes at that point for pretty much all locos and rolling stock, the application was not instantaneous. It was several years before everything could get through the paint shop. Stuff that was slated for sale/scrap would have been low on the priority list for fresh paint.

Fallen Flags has this FP-9A pictured in 1962 with the black/red/noodle scheme. There are a number of other shots of various F-units with that scheme.

Andrew

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Definetly, I've seen pictures in the late sixties where the engine is still wearing the older green/yellow scheme. Mostly I figure passenger equipment was painted over first, then freight whenever practical. Some never were repainted and scraped with the old paint scheme.

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
Thas right Glen some units were scraped in the 70,s that still wearing green paint. My delema is that I,m modeling 1963, and since I bought all my swap meet engines before I decided on a time frame or did any research (Just happened to have more money than brains at the time) All of them have zebra stripes. Ihave to replace all my GP40,s the GP35 well everything but the Fs ,cause paint can,t make thse geeps right

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Sorry to hear that, I bought a couple engines that I got rid of when I decided to model CN and CP in 1958-59. So all my CN engines wear the Green/gold (or yellow) paint. Of course since you're modeling fairly early in the new scheme alot of your engines would still be in the green/yellow scheme, depending on where you are modeling.