Nscale Roadbed Question

Keith 55

Hey, Everyone!
I'm going to be laying track in the next month or so and have decided to join the 21st century by not using cork. The plan is to use the black foam by WS, because I tested some and it really does cut the noise, it's cheap and unlike the other high-tech stuff on the market, all hobby shops seem to have it in stock. Has anyone found any drawbacks or problems using it? Anybody have any helpful hints? Thank You and Good Evening. -Keith 55-

Jim Cullen

Keith,

It looks like good stuff; let us know how it works out. I have heard others express positive opinions about it. I just finished my track but used cork as it work fine in the past for me and didn't see a need to change. Good luck with it.
Jim

billk

I've used the WS stuff. I have used various glues to secure it to the layout surface and feel that Aleene's Tacky Glue works the best, holds it OK but is makes it easy to remove the roadbed (if you make a mistake or change your plan) with minimal damage to either the layout surface or the roadbed itself. Any glue residue left on either can be removed with water.

Also, I didn't notice it at first, the WS roadbed is split down the middle, similar to cork roadbed. But beware, I've had some that had the split pretty far off from center. If you line up the split with the center line of your track plan it can really mess you up!

Clerk

I have that black stuff for roadbed and will never use it again. It is to soft and anyplace where the track is stressed the roadbed gives throwing the whole track out of alignment. To bad I can't afford to replace it with cork.

Jim Cullen

Dick,
Are you talking about the black sticky roadbed from AMI? The Woodland Scenics black foam type looks pretty sturdy. Jim

Clerk

Yup. The Woodland Scenics is the one, I use push pins to hold the track in place while the glue dries. The cork roadbed holds pretty good but the Woodland Scenics is way to soft and gives against the stress of the flex tracks. I have 32 inc curves in N scale which shouldn't put to much stress on the tracks but the roadbed won't hold. Even after the glue dries the roadbed gives, especially where the rails join together. Instead of even curves at the joints I have jerks when the trains go over it.

ezdays

Out AZ way
MR has an article this month on using foam camper-shell tape as roadbed and caulk to glue the track in place.

Don

billk

The problem described by Clerk might depend on the kind of flex track used - some kinds hold their shape after being bent, while others will want want to spring back to a straighter configuration???

Keith 55

Thanks, everybody.
More details: Probably ME code 55, maybe code70, Flextrack, on foam riser & incline. The ME flex seems to hold it's shape better after being curved than the Atlas, but I haven't tried the code 70 yet. -Keith 55-

Keith 55

Thanks for the info, y'all. Clerk-I'll definitely have to test the ME flex and see if it'll be more cooperative than the Atlas. I have a piece of each and I guess I need to glue some down and see.
Thanks for the heads up. billk, after reading your reply I checked the pieces I have and 1 of 4 were slit off-center. I appreciate the warning. -Keith 55-

Keith 55

Rick, I've heard about problems, but no specifics. Does it self-destruct? Eat your caboose or what? I do know that it doesn't touch the flanges on any rolling stock I have, from new MicroTrains to B-M locos from the late '70s, and you can't say that about Atlas. The Peco looks too european, so what else is there? If anyone has had problems w/ WS roadbed or ME c55 flex and turnouts, I really want to hear about it. Thanks-Keith 55-