Notre Dame de Paris by L'Instant Durable

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by Sticks-N-Stones, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Sticks-N-Stones

Sticks-N-Stones New Member

I'm in the final stretch on this build but thought I'd share a picture or two:

Attached Files:

2. Clashster

Clashster Member

Beautiful! Great build, nice smooth seams! How big is this? Thanks for sharing!

Chris
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Very nice! I shy away from building because I cant make a square box come out square - making the card models cube is a reach for me..... If you host your pics somewhere like photobucket (or even better in a gallery here) you can make your pics show up in the post without clicking on them. I think I will make a tutorial on that. Seems to give lots of people headaches.....
    Chris
  4. Sticks-N-Stones

Hi Chris,
    This model is 1:250 scale. The base is 60cm x 22cm and its about 40cm tall. A rather large model but the extra size comes in handy fitting all those buttresses. Even the slightest misalignment can be seen clear across the room so I'm glad I mounted the base sheet to foamboard. I also began reinforcing the walls with cereal box cardboard about halfway through the build. The five buttreses in the back of the church haven't been fit and glued yet so they may look a little crooked.

Also, you can see a couple of color mismatches in the last photo. The worst was in the roof. The choir section was green and the others were pale grey. I used an inexpensive watercolor set to "adjust" the other roof sections and am happy with the result.
  5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Very nice! Notre Dame is one of my favorite structures, and you are doing it proud!

Rick
  6. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

A beautiful model, well built

Jim Nunn
  7. Roxxii

Roxxii New Member

Thank you for sharing the photos - it's superb. That's another one added to my list.
  8. charliec

charliec Active Member

The real building has quite a lot of colour variation on the roof - the roof of Notre Dame is lead sheet and (if memory serves me correctly) varies from dark grey (the new sheet) to a pale green/grey (the old stuff). The people I was with said that it's an on-going project to keep the roof in good repair.

Regards,

Charlie
  9. Sticks-N-Stones

Hi Charlie,
    I admit the model roof is a bit too green. Copper turns green, lead turns white. Clearly, no copper on the Notre Dame. Notice in the pics I attached the real Notre Dame roof is a uniform light grey with only a hint of black streaking at the ridgeline. As originally printed however, half my model roof was green and the other half of the roof was grey - an obvious error in printing. Faced with the daunting task of bleaching the green out of one section or adding some color to the other I opted for the less intrusive option. At some point I'll get serious and figure out how to adjust colors with my printer and computer. This is my "learnin church".

Attached Files:

10. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Looks great! Beautiful job on a nice model. This is the kind of model I used to do many years ago. It's great to see someone posting this kind of work. Having done myown learnin' recently:wink: :wink: , I look forward to seeing your future efforts!
    Chris
  11. stagecoach

stagecoach Member

notre dame

I love the model here, I've done the one over at Canon, but your has a lot more detail, Where can I pick it up?:grin:
  12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Notre Dame Cathedral of Paris

Sticks-N-Stones,

A beautiful build, and a large one! And, a lot more detailed that the relatively simple free Canon version, especially in the entrance facade.
    All the butresses are also infinitely more detailed on the L´Instant Durable model.

As far as I can tell from the pictures, you have done a very careful job of the joints and seams. The colour looks very even on the roof and you´ve got everything lined up very well.

Nice to see pictures of the original on the L´Ile de la Cité in Paris, too.
    Thank you for an interesting thread.

Best,
    Bengt :D
  13. Sticks-N-Stones

Thanks Everyone for your encouraging words! As I mentioned elsewhere this model was meant to learn with and I still have a long way to go. I do plastic cars and wooden RC planes but have always wanted to model famous architecture and these card kits seem a great medium for it.

Perhaps after I finish this one I could do a proper build thread of my next project. Schreiber publishes a kit of the recently rebuilt Frauenkirche Dresden that looks awesome. It was designed by a fellow named Przmyslaw Tabernacki.

Bengt, the butresses are the most difficult but also most satisfying part of this model for me. They get progressively more complicated as you approach the rear of the cathedral. Thats why I saved 'em for last! I read in a Moduni review that there are some fit issues back there so I'm "bracing" for the worst.

Stagecoach, I bought this model in the Notre Dame giftshop but L'Instant Durable can be bought in the states through papermodels.net and even amazon.com! Good luck in your hunt.
  14. leleux

leleux New Member

wow! looks great.
  15. Hats

Hats New Member

Oh my. The level of detail for how small it is is very impressive. I tip my hat to your steady hand.
  16. NorCalWM

NorCalWM New Member

I want one !!

Is there anywhere in the US that I can buy the Instant Durable Models? I want them all ! - My degree is in 11th century French Architecture - and I want all of them ! I have sent a number of emails to Instant Durable in both French and English - with no reply. I called to order one directly and the person at the other end didn't speak any English, and my French wouldn't cut making an order.

Can anyone point me to where I can get these quick?
    I called Papermodels.net - and he doesn't have anymore in stock and it might take a long time to get them.

I saw some on Amazon but, if I recall correctly, they were like $125 !!! ... they are only about $35 from France directly.
    Any leads at all would be great !!
    Thanks all !
  17. edward smith

edward smith New Member

Beautiful model. Looks great.
  18. Wongwai1123

Wongwai1123 New Member

Re NorcalWM:

I from Australia and I have had a contact with the business owner on a regular basic, and I have no troublem at all of ordering cardmodels and get them ship to Australia.if you do have trouble in contacting them, let me know because I am going to order more models from them very very soon and I may be able to help.

Good Luck

I have got 90% of their card models and I only need to get the churches which are excellently in term of deisgn and quality.
  19. Wongwai1123

Wongwai1123 New Member

Hi, I am Anthony from Australia

Re NorcalWM:

I from Australia and I have had a contact with the business owner on a regular basic, and I have no troublem at all of ordering cardmodels and get them ship to Australia.if you do have trouble in contacting them, let me know because I am going to order more models from them very very soon and I may be able to help.

Good Luck

I have got 90% of their card models and I only need to get the churches which are excellently in term of deisgn and quality.
  20. Mocusolvan

Mocusolvan New Member

Great Work !!! :thumb::thumb: