Nothing's Colt Navy..

And done:

DSCF7193.jpg

DSCF7194.jpg

somewhat of a painting challenge, but it worked in the end.

....more on gun control a bit later...

Yep, lettering and all. I'd like the lettering to stand out just a little more, but I don't think I can get any more contrast.

there are six or seven different colours used on the cylinder alone, Starting with a stipple of Red brown (in three differing shades), a little dark red/purple, Further stippling with a couple of shades of dark steel (mixed from silver and black) , Drybrushing with some more (lighter) steel, just on the edges and places where the cylinder would be worn, The lettering picked out in silver and black, and finally some selected washes with a thin blue/black to tie it all together.

Well, I wanted an old used iron, and I think it worked. Happy as waffle in Whipped butter, I am ! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

onto the barrel: as usual, reinforce like mad.

DSCF7195.jpg

I had to change the design of the barrel to make it as God intended, without a seam in the middle. All of the reinforcement you see here is 2mm, and beveled so it will fold up into it's propper octagonal shape.

DSCF7196.jpg

All folded up (before supergluing) this is now quite a strong structure. of course the 8" piece of 3/8" brass tubing up the middle of it isn't hurting, either.:twisted:

DSCF7197.jpg

It has to be said the side port/ramming socket is one of the more complex bits of this kit, both times I had to trim the parts a bit after they were glued in place.

After the usual treatment, I've fixed the barrel to the reciever, useing an extra plug from rolled paper in the barrel to cylinder and also two pegs at the bottom, from a couple of pieces of small diameter brass tubing for extra strength. I could have used tightly rolled and glued paper for this, or even a couple of small wood dowells, but the brass was handy, and wouldn't be visible on the finished model.

100D0427.jpg

100D0429.jpg

100D0431.jpg

needless to say, after all of this reinforcing, I have a very strong model indeed.

You will probably notice that the paintwork around the grip has taken a bit of a beating during all of the extra handing of the build, but will be fixed at the end.

Without nothing's designs, I would never have attempted this. I've tried in the past to make copys of real guns, but just don't have the resourses available to me measure or even research the weapons properly. Nothing's designs take all the pain away. Overall I've only added a handful of "improvements" , these all being quite minor. I've added a V groove to the top front of the hammer, scribed some lines to show the separation between the brass of the grip/trigger guard and the frame, added the little notch thingys in the cylinder, an extra screw above the barrel wedge, altered the shape of said barrel wedge, and made all the screws 3D.

The finish Line Approaches:

The under barrel ramming do-hicky.

The main part has been filled and sanded until it looks like one part, and a screw added with 1mm card.

100D0436.jpg

Fanfare!! All done...

100D0437.jpg

100D0438.jpg

100D0441.jpg

100D0442.jpg

100D0443.jpg

A huge thanks to Nothing for the design work. I'd like a Luger Please. :mrgreen:

...* runs off to start laminating Samaritan*...........

Nothing

Longtime Member
i cant beleive you painted the lettering! i am just stunned by how real that thing looks!!jawdrop:-o:shock::inw::inw::inw::inw::goldcup:

C

cgutzmer

No, If ou look closely enough on the grip youcan see some lines.
But still, better not bring it outside!

You can see lines on the grip? The only lines I see are in the wood :) these are wood carved grips that were used as replacements - still paper ore though ;)
Chris

clif52

Banned
Have you thought about writing a tutorial on how you paint these. I'd be very interested in your techniques. The Colt looks amazing and the textures are spot on.