'nother "crummy" HOn30 project...

shaygetz

Chris333's got me sparked for another project. Just hadta build a caboose or "crummy" for my teakettle steamer. I used an N scale streamliner truck for a starting point.

Attachments

• tframe.jpg
    tframe.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 391

shaygetz

The couplers were cut off of scrap N trucks and recessed into the floor.

Attachments

• sframe.jpg
    sframe.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 385

shaygetz

The modification of the truck weakened it considerably so styrene reinforcement was added.

Attachments

• bframe.jpg
    bframe.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 385

shaygetz

The body is in place and the windows and door are in. I installed them before I cut the body panels apart, using the full sheet of material for added security and squareness. The siding is handscribed styrene signage material.

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 376

shaygetz

Thanks, Chris. I went to the Pensacola Model RR Show today and the teakettle steamer was a big hit with the spectators, enough that I will build a short train for it and shoot for the NMRA convention in Montgomery, AL. This caboose will bring up the rear of that train. I'll probably build a loop of narrow gauge into a club module so that it can be run as well.

Very cool caboose you’ve started there. It just reeks with personality. :D I like your idea about adding a loop to show off the narrow gauge side of our great hobby.

Greg

shaygetz

Thanks Greg. I found that the NMRA convention is in Birmingham, not Montgomery and it will be in May 2004 so there is time and there are several catagories I could shoot for.

The remaining details on the body are in place. The steps are bent ladder stock with wood steps, the marker lamps are from the scrap box. Also note the formed wire grabs and roof trim from .010"x.020" styrene strip.

Attachments

• door.jpg
    door.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 349

shaygetz

From the other side...I really need to get a handle on centering that camera:eek: :p

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 348

Chris333

COOL BEANS!!

When I had my "train" (engine,6 cars, and caboose) I could get it to run around 5" radius curves all day without derailing. Hard to get em to run slow, but they look great in a small space with big ups and downs in the scenery.

Nice work:cool:

Chris

shaygetz

Originally posted by sumpter250
Wow, I can hear the conductor now, "this job is getting to me, feels like the walls are closing in" :D :D :D

Could you imagine riding in this thing, all 49 sq. ft. of it, at the end of a log train in the North woods back in the daze before "Sports Illustrated"?

I'll have to have at least an 8" radius for my Goose, Chris, so this'll handle that with ease. As for the speed, that's my only real concern, these little N scale lokeys aren't known for low speed operating.

The interior had to be painted and the widow glazing had to be installed before the the roof could be put on. The chimney and its guy wires had to be installed in the same manner---even more challenging---the chimney had to be installed at an angle to the roof stock to conform to the final curve. I guessed at it and won. Note also the new brake wheel, a brass casting from a box lot.

Attachments

• door1.jpg
    door1.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 309

shaygetz

Originally posted by jon-monon
Your doing some really neat work with this stuff. Betcha can't wait to see it all bringin home a load of logs! :D :D :D

Weeelllll.......actually, it'll be bring up the rear on a tourist train:D :p ;) :rolleyes: as yet another loggin' fan faints dead away at the thought.

Saturday finds Crankpin, Billy Joe Ray Bob and Hyram spying the FHP and wondering just how good a deal they got on their new rides. The 'boose is painted and the open air tour car is started.

Attachments

• boose.jpg
    boose.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 281

shaygetz

The basic car is completely scratchbuilt from my faithful store signage. The only commercial parts are the N scale "old timer" passenger trucks and the Pulman seat castings.

Attachments

• pass1.jpg
    pass1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 137

shaygetz

Another view. Weight is a problem, it is way too light, even with all those castings it weighs .9 oz! I'll soon post some pics on how I dealt with it.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 141

shaygetz

The weight problem was solved by using ceiling fan counterwieghts. They're flat and flexible and I was able to roll these up to look at least railroady alongside of the other cast metal brake parts used to add weight. The red washers on the bolsters are Kadee .015" to raise it up enogh to clear the truck mounted couplers.

Attachments

• bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 129

shaygetz

With the weight now up to a healthier 1.5 oz. the seats and floor had to be painted before the side were added.

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 131

shaygetz

The uprights are trimmed to make the overall height in the interior a comfortable 7'. Because this is modeled to reflect the 1970s, the isles and steps are prototypically narrower to pre-ADA standards i.e. no wheelchair access. It's amazing how quickly we get used to how gubmint regs affect our daily lives. If built today, the car would have to be at least 2 feet wider and one row of seats would have to be removed and wheelchair clamps installed. Not a complaint, just one of the many theorums and variables one has to take into consideration that makes realistic free-lancing so much fun.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 128