Not to toot my own horn, but....

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by dhanners, Sep 10, 2005.

1. dhanners

dhanners Member

My build-up of Erik te Groen's Delta 3914 launch vehicle took the GOLD in its category at an IPMS contest today. The contest was the Nordicon, sponsored by the Twin Cities Aero Historians, and it attracts modelers from several states.

The "Space/Factual" category only had one plastic entry, a V-2. Fearing there wouldn't be enough S/F models to make up a whole category (and then factual space would be thrown in with the Gundams, etc.) I kind of "flooded the zone" and entered a bunch of stuff. My "Gemini Recover" and Gemini VII models (both by Delta 7 Studios, but with extra detail added) won silver, and my scratchbuilt Ariane 5 ECA and In-Line Shuttle-Derived Launch Vehicle won bronze.

The V-2 was very well done, and I'll have to admit I'm a bit surprised it didn't win gold since it was plastic. Maybe the "P" in IPMS really can stand for "paper"....
  2. dhanners

dhanners Member

My build-up of Erik te Groen's Delta 3914 launch vehicle took the GOLD in its category at an IPMS contest today. The contest was the Nordicon, sponsored by the Twin Cities Aero Historians, and it attracts modelers from several states.

The "Space/Factual" category only had one plastic entry, a V-2. Fearing there wouldn't be enough S/F models to make up a whole category (and then factual space would be thrown in with the Gundams, etc.) I kind of "flooded the zone" and entered a bunch of stuff. My "Gemini Recover" and Gemini VII models (both by Delta 7 Studios, but with extra detail added) won silver, and my scratchbuilt Ariane 5 ECA and In-Line Shuttle-Derived Launch Vehicle won bronze.

The V-2 was very well done, and I'll have to admit I'm a bit surprised it didn't win gold since it was plastic. Maybe the "P" in IPMS really can stand for "paper"....
  3. Kaz

Kaz Member

Hey! good for you. If no one blows your trumpet, then you have to blow it yourself, and for all the other paper modelers as well!
  4. Kaz

Kaz Member

Hey! good for you. If no one blows your trumpet, then you have to blow it yourself, and for all the other paper modelers as well!
  5. GEEDUBBYA

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy dhanners,

Glad to hear you took the competition by storm. And dont worry bout those plastic modelers, they will come back next year and probably be abit tougher competition. So keep on building and toot your horn as often as needed to let the plastic modelers know to "get out of your way".
    Again, congratulations.

have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  6. GEEDUBBYA

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy dhanners,

Glad to hear you took the competition by storm. And dont worry bout those plastic modelers, they will come back next year and probably be abit tougher competition. So keep on building and toot your horn as often as needed to let the plastic modelers know to "get out of your way".
    Again, congratulations.

have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Congratulations! Persistance does have a way of paying off. Could it be that $160.00 plastic kits have turned many a modeling head toward paper?

-Gil
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Congratulations! Persistance does have a way of paying off. Could it be that $160.00 plastic kits have turned many a modeling head toward paper?

-Gil
  9. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks for the encouragement; right back at'cha.

On the $160 kits.... Yes, I'm here to tell you, there were some guys there who must spend all of their disposable income on kits and aftermarket accessories. I'm glad there has been an explosion of manufacturers' interest in the hobby (the plastic side of it, anyway) but when you can spend two or three times (or more) on aftermarket stuff than what you paid for the kit in the first place, then I just kind of have to wonder where it all leads to. Makes me wonder what ever happend to "scratchbuilding." I don't mean to knock the people who spend their money on this stuff; it's their money so they can do with it what they want. But I got into card modeling mainly because I was broke, and now that I'm not, I really have no intention of going back to plastic anytime soon.

I guess I'm not officialy a "Cardhead."
  10. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks for the encouragement; right back at'cha.

On the $160 kits.... Yes, I'm here to tell you, there were some guys there who must spend all of their disposable income on kits and aftermarket accessories. I'm glad there has been an explosion of manufacturers' interest in the hobby (the plastic side of it, anyway) but when you can spend two or three times (or more) on aftermarket stuff than what you paid for the kit in the first place, then I just kind of have to wonder where it all leads to. Makes me wonder what ever happend to "scratchbuilding." I don't mean to knock the people who spend their money on this stuff; it's their money so they can do with it what they want. But I got into card modeling mainly because I was broke, and now that I'm not, I really have no intention of going back to plastic anytime soon.

I guess I'm not officialy a "Cardhead."
  11. Nick L.

Nick L. New Member

Congratulations! :wink:
  12. Nick L.

Nick L. New Member

Congratulations! :wink:
  13. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

yes...Thats a definite reason Ive moved here to the Dark Side of Models :twisted: :twisted: :D
    John John

Way to go Dhanners

John John
  14. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

yes...Thats a definite reason Ive moved here to the Dark Side of Models :twisted: :twisted: :D
    John John

Way to go Dhanners

John John
  15. ccoyle

ccoyle New Member

Congratulations, dhanners!

$160 for a kit? Wooden ship modelers wish that most wooden kits would cost that little. Wooden kits typically cost over $200, frequently quite a bit more than that, with some pushing the $1,000 barrier. A case can cost just as much. The high kit costs push some towards scratch building, which often requires a shop full of expensive power tools. I'm not yet a card-head either, but I'm definitely attracted to paper by the lower cost.

BTW, I've twice attended the Western Ship Model Conference & Exhibit, sponsored by the Ship Modelers Association and held triennially aboard the RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach, California. David Okamura regularly expends a great deal of effort setting up a paper model exhibit for the show, and it is always well-received. Well-executed models always get raves, no matter what medium they are done in.

Regards,
  16. ccoyle

ccoyle New Member

Congratulations, dhanners!

$160 for a kit? Wooden ship modelers wish that most wooden kits would cost that little. Wooden kits typically cost over $200, frequently quite a bit more than that, with some pushing the $1,000 barrier. A case can cost just as much. The high kit costs push some towards scratch building, which often requires a shop full of expensive power tools. I'm not yet a card-head either, but I'm definitely attracted to paper by the lower cost.

BTW, I've twice attended the Western Ship Model Conference & Exhibit, sponsored by the Ship Modelers Association and held triennially aboard the RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach, California. David Okamura regularly expends a great deal of effort setting up a paper model exhibit for the show, and it is always well-received. Well-executed models always get raves, no matter what medium they are done in.

Regards,
  17. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Congrats!!!
  18. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Congrats!!!
  19. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Well done dhanners! You toot that trumpet LOUD! It is great to see paper models acheiving such awards!

Tim P
  20. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Well done dhanners! You toot that trumpet LOUD! It is great to see paper models acheiving such awards!

Tim P