Not Amtrak ... this time

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
I was thinking that too -- only thing I can think of is that, it was along side the tracks and the train caught it and dragged it a bit... When it finally got to the back of the train (3 - 4 cars) the gas tank exploded

LOL shaygetz - the races were Sunday :) but I guess you're right - they probably have registration or serial numbers :)

It does look like the CabCar was leading, and it also looks like it exploded on impact. Look at the burn marks and smoke damage. Thats not caused by something exploding beside the train...thats hitting the front and exploding. I pity the crew...i've riden in a CabCar at 70Mph before. Hitting something and having it burst into flames a foot from you would be a shock, to say the least.

AR

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
This reminds me of another story that has a sad ending..
While working on the PRR a freight train hit a small tank truck that the rear wheels dropped off the rural crossing and was stuck between the rails and had been left by the driver while he went to summon help.
A East bound reefer train hit that tanker..The tanker burst into flames upon impact killing the engineer,fireman and head brakeman..

Back to topic..I suspect that was a reverse run of a push/pull train with cab car leading which the reporter took as the rear of the train.