North American vs. British RR terms

RobertInOntario

Since I mainly model British trains, but am still interested in North American ones, I often get confused over the different North American/British terms. So I thought I'd ask about clarifying a few terms here. I'm not sure if this is the best sub-forum, as these sort of apply to models as well as the prototype.

Here are some examples that I already know about:

Ties (North American) = Sleepers (British)
Conductor (NA) = Guard (Br)
Caboose (NA) = Guard's/Brake Van (Br)
Freight Train (NA) = Goods Train (Br)
Freight Cars (NA) = Vans, Wagons, Truck, etc. (Br)
Railroad (American) = Railway (both British and Canadian!)

And here's a couple that I'm not sure of:
Signal Box (British) = Watch Tower or Gate House in N. America??
The wheels under coaches or freight cars are called trucks or bogeys, but I'm not sure which is British and which is NA!

Can anyone clarify or suggest others? It can get really confusing, especially when you go into an LHS asking for something!

Thanks!

Rob

I have had some experience riding British railways, but I'm certainly not an expert on the different terminology between Britain and US. However, I think I can say with fair certainty that "trucks" is US and "bogeys" is British, for the most part. It seems that I have heard both used interchangeably in both places, however. I hope this is a least a little bit of help to you.

Triplex

Switch (NA) = Point (Br) = Turnout (NA model)
Engineer (NA) = Driver (Br)
Passenger cars (NA) = Carriages (Br)
Multiple unit operation (NA; in the context of locomotives, not self-propelled) = Multiple working (Br)

RobertInOntario

Thanks -- these are all good terms and feedback. I didn't know about several of these, for example, Smokestck-chimney or helper/pusher-banker. Again, I use many of these terms interchangeably and often forget which is NA and which is British. Thanks again, Rob

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Robert,

In Canada cabeese (cabooses?) were also referred to as "vans".

As for trucks vs. bogeys, I think the term bogey is used for passive wheels under just about anything other than trains in NA... truck trailers, cranes, tanks... go figure.

Passenger Train (Br) = A What??? (NA)

RobertInOntario

Puff puff peep peep (Brit) = Choo choo wooo wooo (Can/US)
;) :D
sign1
Andrew

You pretty much said it! ... although some of the larger steam engine's whistles tend to sound a bit more like North American ones.

This leads to another related topic. In North America, there is a whole system of whistle/horn signals that are still used, that date back to the 19th Century. I read about these recently in MR.

For example, two short blasts mean the train is about to start moving forward; two long, a short and a long are for level crossings; and I believe three short blasts mean the train is about to reverse. There are about 10 other whistle/horn signals.

But I don't believe they use any of these in Britain. If they do have any whistle/horn signals, I'd be interested in learning about them.

Rob

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
OK, it's a bit of an aside, but I like this fact anyway...

As we approach the 50 year anniversary of the demise of mainline steam, you can ask almost any kid "what does a train say?", and they will invariably answer "choo choo", and not make a noice like a diesel... ;)

Gives me hope! :D

Andrew

RobertInOntario

OK, it's a bit of an aside, but I like this fact anyway...

As we approach the 50 year anniversary of the demise of mainline steam, you can ask almost any kid "what does a train say?", and they will ainvariably answer "choo choo", not make a noice like a diesel... ;)

Gives me hope! :D

Andrew

Yes, good point, and quite interesting too! In popular culture (i.e. cartoons/movies, etc.) a steam loco is still the most common "symbol" used for a train.

Rob

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
You pretty much said it! ... although some of the larger steam engine's whistles tend to sound a bit more like North American ones.

This leads to another related topic. In North America, there is a whole system of whistle/horn signals that are still used, that date back to the 19th Century. I read about these recently in MR.

For example, two short blasts mean the train is about to start moving forward; two long, a short and a long are for level crossings; and I believe three short blasts mean the train is about to reverse. There are about 10 other whistle/horn signals.

But I don't believe they use any of these in Britain. If they do have any whistle/horn signals, I'd be interested in learning about them.

Rob
Here's a link to the UP site for signals UP: Locomotive Horn Signals
Someone once told me that these are universal, so a railroad employee anywhere in the world, would know what the signals mean.... But I'm not positive that's accurate...