Noname build

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, Figurines & Paperdolls' started by rockpaperscissor, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Despite the fit problems, she looks great!
    Very nice work, Don!

Russell
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Despite the fit problems, she looks great!
    Very nice work, Don!

Russell
  3. Darwin

Darwin Member

Tim, if this stuff seems purient to you, the Poser websites would guaranteed give you a heart attack. It is a whole different world out there from the one we came in on....I remember the days when National Geographic was the sexiest thing available.
  4. Darwin

Darwin Member

Tim, if this stuff seems purient to you, the Poser websites would guaranteed give you a heart attack. It is a whole different world out there from the one we came in on....I remember the days when National Geographic was the sexiest thing available.
  5. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I looked at the kit and tohought it looked quite straight forward. Well, I guess looks can be deceptive. You're doing a grand job Don.
  6. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

That's a wrap!

Noname's arms and hands were next. Since she isn't a "real" anime character (at least as far as I know), I decided to depart from the stock kit and give her a tattoo on her right arm just for fun. Originally I was going to do a full sleeve with something really dark, like flaming skulls and dragons and stuff - but ultimately I settled for something far less ambitious; a simple Japanese Koi tattoo that I found on the web. I used photoshop to size the tattoo and paste it into place. It really belongs on her upper arm, but I thought her tunic sleeve would cover it up, so I moved it down to her forearm. As it turns out, with the way her arm is positioned it's pretty much hidden there too. Oh well, I tried.

I glued her arms in place, and then moved on to her hands. They are very simple flat affairs with a wrist that rolls into a tube and slips up into the forearm. I scored her hands so that her finger joints would bend naturally. Her right hand is resting on her hip with the thumb and index finger extended, and the others curled underneath. Her left hand is around her back, palm outward, making a universally recognizable gesture. Sort of a peace sign without the index finger. How sick am I? :oops: I glued her upper and lower body halves together, added her head and yellow bow to the front of her tunic to complete her.

The figure was done, but now I had to make a base. I picked out a nice marble mosaic pattern floor that I found on the web, sized it to three inches square, and glued it to mat board with spray adhesive. I made one inch high sidewalls of black mat board and glued them to the top piece to complete a nice presentation base for Noname. Small drops of glue on the bottom of her boots hold her down.

Overall view

[​IMG]

Left side

[​IMG]

Back

[​IMG]

Rightish

[​IMG]

Frontish

[​IMG]

Noname isn't the easiest free figure model out there in the web, but I think she's one of the nicest. The designer did a great job with her. Many paper figure models look pretty stiff to me, but in this case the pose is very fluid and natural with a smooth S curve to the spine. The right shoulder is raised, the back is arched, the head is tilted...really very well done. The figure requires some thought during assembly to avoid building yourself into a corner, but she is definitely buildable and very satisfying. I highly recommend her to all you anime modelers out there.

Regards,
    Don
  7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Cool! Very nice job!

Russell
  8. bill516

bill516 Member

A very nice job Don, I've made a start on another attempt at this model and I got the body built and the tunic to fit. I never got to that stage before so it's a success so far. One thing I did differently this time was in printing. Irfanview is my default viewer and I have always used best fit to page, this time I tried original size from DPI, this seems to have cured my previous tunic fit problems. Having solved that problem Noname is not such a difficult build as my first attempts proved to be. However as you say Dan you can build yourself into a corner very easily with this model. Got to agree with the movement of this model it looks very natural.

Bill
  9. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

Thanks for your encouragement, Russell. Glad to hear that you're taking another stab at her Bill. If you've gotten her torso encased in her tunic you're pretty much home free. The rest should be cake. Mine was a bit unstable when built - she had a tendency to fall flat on her face - but since I always mount my finished models to paper bases it wasn't a problem in the end. I hope you'll post some pictures when you've gotten her finished. I'd love to see another one completed.

Regards,
    Don
  10. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

A superb job Don - I think she may well fall out of my printer soon ;)
  11. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

:-oNice model Don! Another one for my waiting list :)
  12. bill516

bill516 Member

OK peeps here's what I've done to her so far. I@m sure that by the time I'm finished I will have made a real bodge of it. BTW she's not glued to her legs or body yet there just sort of pushed together.

View attachment 10929

View attachment 10930

Bill
  13. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

That looks very good Bill - seems like the rest should be plain sailing. Ive printed her out - just waiting until I've got time to assemble her.
  14. bill516

bill516 Member

Forgot to add in my post she's made from 90gsm paper, not card just thought I'd make it a bit tricker. Actually it wasn't that much trickier, paper moves easier than card, you've just got to be so careful with the amount of glue you use. I've had a few models sort of disintegrate during the build because I used too much glue. I'm getting better now, or so the Shrink says.

Bill
  15. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

Thanks for sharing your photos Bill. I see you're using the rolled method over scoring. I prefer the rolled look, and I wanted to build her that way, but I just couldn't manage it. It's working well for you, though. Your joints look very smooth - on her boots particularly - you must be dealing with the interlocking tabs better than I did also. The method I used (tabs only on north side of each piece) made assembly easier, but leaves a ridgeline where each part connects with the next. I'm going to try to roll the parts for my next anime figure - got one all picked out. My color printer cartridge has bitten the dust though - I need to buy another before I can get started. Can't wait to see more of your build.

Regards,
    Don
  16. bill516

bill516 Member

Thanks Don,

I think it might be a more of a product of using paper than me dealing with interlocking tabs. While the paper is a still damp from the glue I try to rub the joint from inside and push the under-lapped portion level with the overlap. Because the paper isn't as thick as card it stretches that bit more and seems to hide the joint better, also any mismatch between interlocking tabs seems to disappear. Well it would if my skills were up to it and I didn't shake like a leaf while trying to to mate two parts.

Bill
  17. chipetke

chipetke New Member

18. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

19. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Or we could, in principle, pronounce "Noname" in the Japanese way ;)
  20. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I've started to buiild her - Don is spot on with his new name for her !!!! A wonderful pose, and cleverly designed. Just a shame that the torso is too big.

I actually line the alternate tabs that drove Don made. Horses for courses :roll: