Nomad Valley R.R.

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Hey everybody:wave:
I thought it was about time I started a layout thread. First, a little history.
This is a completely fictitious shortline called The Nomad Valley with no set time period, but I kind of imagine it being in the middle fifties. The cars are all different road names thanks to the interchange. Loco's are all leased, but I hope to repaint them someday.
The room is 10.5'x11.5'. With the bridge I can run a loop, but I normally operate out and back. As you will see I still have a long ways to go.
First is the bridge at Nomad Gorge. Then there are two pictures of Nomad Yard. The open space in front of the yard will be a trailer court with a store and maybe a burger joint.
After that is Gardis Furniture Manufacturing, Centennial Mills and Interstate Fuel Company.
Around the curve we have the future home of Cameron Industries (manufacturer of America's best Widgets ).
Another curve and there is Valley Produce. Then there is Cotton's Lumber and Countrywide Co-Op with the interchange in back.
Questions, comments or critisisim are welcome.

Loren

Attachments

• nomad gorge bridge.jpg
    nomad gorge bridge.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 23
  • nomad yard 1.jpg
    nomad yard 1.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 19
  • nomad yard 2.jpg
    nomad yard 2.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 18
  • gardis furniture.jpg
    gardis furniture.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 11

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
And the rest of the pictures. Thanks for looking.

Loren

Attachments

• cameron ind.jpg
    cameron ind.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 10
  • valley produce.jpg
    valley produce.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 7
  • cotton lumber.jpg
    cotton lumber.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 7

PWRR-2207

Rogue Islander
Oct 3, 2007
Rhode Island, USA
Nomad Valley

Hi, I like the bridge :thumb: I wanted a nice big bridge like that but my door is in a corner and it must open and close with the lift out in place. As for finishing, ah, my fixed layout room (10' x 10') has been in and out of various stages for the past 12 years, so I would not worry about it as long as you are having fun :)

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
looks great nomad :thumb:.it'll be on AWESOME layout once its done,and is that a mantua GN 2-6-6-2 i see? how do they run? i've been wanting to buy the articulated logger for my (future) logging layout.--josh

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Thanks wpyr, and since that is your first post, welcome to The Gauge.:wave:

pwrr, thanks. I made the bridge out of 5 Atlas bridges, and built it to swing up since I am short on storage space. It's taken me 7 months to get this far, so I guess time is no big deal. But, this is a rebuild of the layout I originally started.

bigsteel, that is a Mantua. Great running machine. I have 33 cars and it will pull all them on my layout, but I don't have any grades.It does have a traction tire though, so that would help on the layout your planning.

Loren

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Loren,
Thanks for an overall look at the layout and the background on the concept! Very cool! I too like that big bridge. Did you do a thread about the bridge construction before or am I dreaming? I'm always intrigued by ideas like lift out or swing out bridges.
Ralph

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Ralph, thank you for the kind comments.
Actually, I asked for help when I was building the bridge, and posted a picture then. I also showed a little bit of how I built it. I am real pleased with the bridge. It turned out a lot better than I thought it would.

Loren

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
After that is Gardis Furniture Manufacturing, Centennial Mills and Interstate Fuel Company.
Around the curve we have the future home of Cameron Industries (manufacturer of America's best Widgets ).
Another curve and there is Valley Produce. Then there is Cotton's Lumber and Countrywide Co-Op with the interchange in back.

Questions, comments or critisisim are welcome.

Does Gern Industries have plans to open a plant in the Nomad Valley? ;) :D

Andrew

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Thanks for posting the photos, Loren! I've been itching to see what you've done lately. The cardstock building looks terrific. And I can see that you've been having fun running the trains.

Hey, what are all those silver knobs on the fascia?:rolleyes:

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Gary, those silver knobs are just for looks. A friend gave them to me, so I thought I might as well use them.

Man, you guys are cracking me up tonight!:mrgreen:

I thought that maybe you used them to hang your throttles on or something like that. But I like your idea better. I am going to put some on my fascia, but I'll have to go with the cheapie 99 cent wooden ones instead of the high dollar metal ones!:thumb:

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
hello all:wave:
I am looking for some advice.
I am half finished with the building for my new siding. http://forum.zealot.com/t153025-2/
And I tried the building in place. I am not to happy with it, so I tried putting Interstate Fuel there instead. But I am not sure. Would you all take a look and see what you think?
The new building front or back in the corner.

Thanks
Loren

Attachments

• interstate fuel.jpg
    interstate fuel.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 10
  • warehouse.jpg
    warehouse.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 11

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
I like the Oil complex in the front, it would probably have more details that would be hard to notice if it was in the back. The large building on the otherhand is big enough to seem overwhelming in the front but looks great in the corner. Hope that helps. The layuot is looking great.