Noisy Large Scale

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by XavierJ123, Sep 13, 2005.

1. XavierJ123

XavierJ123 Member

I purchased a Large Scale Bachmann train set at a yard sale. It was advertised as an "Old Train Set." It is a 4-6-0 like #49 "The Ringmaster" on page 94 of the 2005 Bachmann catalog, except the paint scheme is different. It has a red cab and a silver & black boiler. It looks like all the large scales are the same 2-6-0 engine with different paint schemes, different smoke stacks, & different road names. This one was the AT&SF. It runs fine except it is awful noisy. Are they all like this or can I take it apart and lubricate it or something?
  2. Philinbos

Philinbos Member

I have three of these engines- none of them are noisy... Lubricating may help... Good luck
  3. XavierJ123

XavierJ123 Member

Thanks for your reply. Have you ever lubricated yours? What did you use? I think I will go down into the basement and be brave and attempt to gain access to the inner workings of this new/old engine. Here I go---------
  4. XavierJ123

XavierJ123 Member

Well, that didn't work. The noise is still coming from the engine. I gained access to the gears, motor etc and oiled them with no improvement. I did this two days in a row thinking I might have not done a good job the first time. The noise is still coming from the engine. Now what???
    I did discover a little on/off switch behind a cover on the very front of the engine. What does that do???
  5. fooldancing

fooldancing New Member

The worm gear might not be making good contact with the motor gear. The worm gear is the gear that takes the power from motor to the wheels (like a transmission on a car). Don't remove it, but try to push it back into place.
    I hope this helps,
    Matt
  6. fooldancing

fooldancing New Member

the on/off switch is for the smoke unit. Don't run with the switch turned on if you don't have any smoke fluid in the smoke stack. only put about 6 drops of fluid in it.
    here is Bachmann's customer service nummber 1-800-356-3910 ext. 12 this is for tech. support, they should be able to help you out if my suggestion is wrong or if you need additional support.
    good luck,
    matt
  7. fooldancing

fooldancing New Member

well mine just statred doing this last might. I think I may have a worn gear or two. this might be your problem as well.
    good luck again,
    Matt