Nobi's SeaFury and Special

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Bowdenja, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Oh.......... couple of more tips.

I rought up the finish on the Q-Tip shaft with snadpaper, in order for the glue to adhere a little better..............

And once the glue has set you can add another small details that you like. Silver paper to represent the oleo strut......... small wires for brake lines......and my favorite................

Cut up paperclips for the retracting oleo to pull the gear back up into the wheel well............ these also give added support to the gear for disply:grin:

I also don't worry about glue smears too much............ landing gear is always dirty:grin:
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Landing gear struts finished.......... with just a little embelishment

Attached Files:

3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Holes drilled into the bottom of the wings and the struts glued in place..........

I leave a small shaft to go up into the wing to give a little better support for the gear, instead of just butt gluing them on.......also set then at the proper angle..........using the best angle instrument available...........the human eye. When it looks good it is good:grin:

Attached Files:

4. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Beautiful job, John! Thank you for the tip about using q-tips for struts. That is just great. I've been using toothpicks, but they never look as good a those smooth q-tip shafts. :) I have to add my compliments to Nobi as well. His creations are outstanding!
  5. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

I like those pics, they look kinda like oil paintings.
  6. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

BTW, it's amazing what you can do with q-tips. I already use them for 1/72 tank's gun barrels, shaven down a bit for machinegun barrels, exaust papes, anything roughly cylindrical.
  7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Wheels...........

I use paste board from boxes like..........Cereal boxs.....whatever....... for my formers........... it is ususallt .5 mm + or -. Here are the wheels attached to some of this............

Attached Files:

8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

This just happened to be a Scooby Snack box for the dogs!:grin:

Attached Files:

9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK.......... I cut the wheels out with my trusty fiskers scissors and since at this scale I like to have an odd number making up the wheels I used only five of the six pieces...............don't worry if they are not exactly circles.........we'll take care of that really soon.

Attached Files:

10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Glue em up and you get a piece like this..................

Attached Files:

11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

With an end shot that looks like this.............

Attached Files:

12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

About five minutes later........... with the help of your typical emery board the ladys use to do their nails you end up with this beauty............not too bad......huh?

That's it on my board.................

Attached Files:

13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

with an end shot like this.............

Attached Files:

14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

After the shaping with the emery board I use the modellers best friend to make things black.............. a sharpie! I color all of the tire(tyre) black and make sure it gets into all the cracks. After that I use my punch and hammer and make some circles out of paper, that have been colored light grey, for the hubs..............look on the mat and you will see.

No I do not have one of those handy dandy japanese hole punch screw thing that every is raving about.............. but soon I will!:grin:

Attached Files:

15. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Next I drill a hole into the back side for my Q-Tip to glue into and since I had the drill bit chucked up into the dremel I worked on cutting out the former in the cowling so the Prop Hub can fit...................see!

The tires on the pad have hole in them............ not all they way through, but just enough to glue in a pice of the Q-Tip and then glue that to the end of the gear struts.............

Also you will see a sander on the cutting pad............ I am going to remove the center of the former and then use that to sand the hole to fit the prop hub pretty close................

Attached Files:

16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

John, has all this been done in the last 24 hours? If so you must have set some sort of speed record. It also looks good too! It looks as if the parts have a good fit. I have several of Nobi's models and haven't built up one yet! It will have to be soon judgeing from the way this has come out.
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Thanks Ted............ yes this is pretty much in real time. Also Nobi's designs are great. No these are not the fantastic detailed kits like Halinski's, but like he says "Easy but Beautiful". And they make wonderful models.

Now to continue with this................

Landing gear wheels attached to the fuselage.......... and the wheel covers behind the model on the pad. Also the tail wheel is there ready to be cut and glued.

Attached Files:

18. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Close up of the gear covers............

Attached Files:

19. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

And cut out glued together and put in place

Attached Files:

20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

And the tail wheel cut and glued up and attached...............

Attached Files: