NOAA fisheries vessel

lizzienewell

I'm getting to the point in model making were I start to lose interest. The major stuff is worked out and I'm down to tweaking and working out the fittings and details.

At this point my efforts are spread over three builds. As I work out a detail I put it on the earliest of the three first and then put the improved parts on the newer versions. The Engines still aren't attached. I'm starting into wire work for the railings and the like. The older version is on the left and the newest version on the right.

I am considering putting little LEDs on a model so that it lights up.

---Lizzie

Attachments

• IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 224

lizzienewell

I'm still working on this craft.
Here is the latest version. This one has a functional chainlocker. The propellers turn, the motors lift and swivel, and the winch spool turns. Oh and the door opens.

Don't look too closely at where the sponson meets the gunwale or at the curve of the hull.

Attachments

• wired 09.jpg
    wired 09.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 156
Z

Zathros

That's fantastic. What is your modeling process? Do you use a CAD program or do your draw the stuff out? The "floatation-sponson-tubey-thingys look great!!

lizzienewell

I'm pleased that you like it.
I use Coreldraw with trial and error. I photographed the vessel, imported the photos into Coreldraw and drew elevations over the top of photos estrapolating the parts that I didn't have views of. I enjoy the extrapolation part: finding the manufacturer's website and visiting marine supply stores.
Then I drew the formers and keel over the top of the elevations and started into the trial and error part--lots and lots of prototypes.

---Lizzie

Z

Zathros

With your ability to extrapolate 2d to 3d like that, you would love Rhino. There is a trial version of Rhino that allows you to save 20 times and then still works but the "save" function is disabled. You would find yourself making less prototypes but since most of the fun is in the making I don't know if that's good or bad? You models look "real", and I enjoy your subject matter.

lizzienewell

zathros said:
With your ability to extrapolate 2d to 3d like that, you would love Rhino. There is a trial version of Rhino that allows you to save 20 times and then still works but the "save" function is disabled. You would find yourself making less prototypes but since most of the fun is in the making I don't know if that's good or bad? You models look "real", and I enjoy your subject matter.

It's tempting. If a surface isn't parallel to any of the elevation views it's hard to figure out. There are some little square type shapes on the prow that I still haven't gotten right. None of the surfaces that they are connected to are parallel to an elevation either. I also have difficulty with the end shapes of angled tubes. All this causes the messiness in the prow area. From what I've seen of Rhino designs it doesn't do a lot of curvilinear joints on cones and cylinders.

Z

Zathros

What I do in Rhino ( and by no means should anyone accept this as the proper way) is make the shape with curves then connect it with a straight line. Then you can "unroll developable surface" and it will unroll (Rhino2.0). before I unroll it if I have 2 intersecting tubes I use one tube as a "cutting" tool and cut that shape into the mating tube then I can unroll the surface with the needed shape unrolled. I hesitate stating anything about Rhino as what I have read here it seems that I am the least knowledgeable about it.

lizzienewell

Zathros,
It's nice that we share an interest in subject matter. I like craft that are small and slow enough to interact with the air and water.

It is interesting looking at this boat in comparison to the Russian air-sledge. They are similar in size and shallow draft. The engines on the NOAA boat are really powerful. Two 250 horsepower outboards. Most boats this size have only one outboard and the power on it is about half one of these. A friend of mine pointed out that usually the outboards on a ocean going boat have longer shafts to put the propellors deeper. These are more like lake outboards in going shallow. I think it must be set up to do rescue work in the intertidal zone. This boat is used in Kodiak which has very large tidal fluctuation. It can get in close to a stranded vessel and use those powerful motors to pull the vessel off a shoal. If the water gets really shallow they can pull up the motors and coast over the shoal.
NOAA Enforcement works closely with the Coast Guard. They must have specified a boat that can be used for Coast Guard work in addition to the usual job of counting fish.
The prominant anchor pulpet must be for working in tidal currents.

Z

Zathros

I think you could make money off of the Tupolev. Maybe , if they host it on their sight. Who knows. Where else would one get a model of such a thing? I was also struck by the similarity of the craft. (Maybe the use of outboards on the NOAA are for serviceability?) I share with you the passion of vehicles you can touch. On another matter, I read an article where an A-90 Orlyonok lost it's rudder, tail plan and cruising motor at speed due to a stress crack and the designer grabbed the controls from the pilot and using the lift motors landed the A-90 onto the shore. Interesting, if that had been any other type of flying machine it would have been doomed.

gippolot

Top work Lizzie. Those models are really flash.

The info on how and where the real boats are used was good to know.

Regards,
Andrew

clarklfarris

Lizzie,

Awesome model! How do you make the details such as the radar dome, horns etc.? I too would like to build the model and am wondering how and when you might make it available. If you choose not to make it available for whatever reason it still is an awesome model. Do you plan on making other maritime type models?

Clark

lizzienewell

I need to do another build and design the directions before passing this off to anyone else. I think you would hate me if I gave this to you without clear directions.
Almost all of my cardmodels are maritime. My ongoing project is a science-fiction ekronaplan(flying boat) with warpable wings. I have some tugs and fishing vessels too.

--Lizzie

Z

Zathros

It would be great to read the story and have the toys to play with too. A story with Ekranoplans, to good to be true, make sure you translate it in Russian, I am sure there will be a great interest there also. I can't wait for the book. Have you ever considered little excerpts, teasers that don't give away anything but might be little parallel stories?

lizzienewell

Okay, here is an except. I tried to find a short exiting passage with the ekranoplans(skips in this story.) Justin, the protagonist, has an implant in his brain that interfaces with his craft. He snuck into the neighboring clan's territory to repair a cell tower, and they caught him.
He calls his skip the <i>Kludgy</i> because he put it together out of scavenged parts. It looks like a wreck but flies well. The "bad guys" are using sail-hydrofoils and catboats with auxilary power provided by hydrogen fuel cells. :) I just had to do a hydrogen explosion. Justin is using a laser cutter, not a laser gun. The cannon are basically 105mm howitzers, the sort used for triggering avalanches.

Funny thing is that when I first wrote this, I knew very little about ekranoplans. I just knew how I wanted them to fly, and I had a hard time explaining why the craft couldn't go up high to avoid the sailboats.

I do hope that it gets translated into Russian. My writing has bit of Alaskan history thrown in with some references to the Bering Expedition and to the Russian fur trade in the Aleutian Chain.

<I threw my toolbox on my back seat and jerked the painter free. As I coiled the line, a second black-sailed vessel glided from behind the point. I slammed the canopy shut and backed the <i>Kludgy</i> from shore. Jets don't fail me. I shifted the ballast water, blasted my jets, and rose on step. Come on <i>Kludgy</i>, get up to speed. Leaping airborne and spreading my wings, I hurdled the prow of the lead boat. As my ballast water splattered her deck, two men scrambled for a cannon in the bow. I flew higher and cleared the second boat. Free and headed for the Narrows.

I dropped to skim the water. The Narrows waited, a dark cleft in the snow-dusted mountains.

Around a headland sailed two more hydrofoils with guns booming.
Komoko firing! I banked away from my goal. Frat! They were all over; two dozen or more Komoko boats--hydrofoils, magneto dingys, and catboats--sailing on the bay and schooling around that two-masted ketch. Last time I'd seen her had been during our battle over control of the Narrows.
A transmission crackled from the cruising pod; <i>Surrender and you won't be hurt.</i>

I didn’t believe them. Not when they'd killed Uncle Sajaks, and were rumored to have assassinated Uncle Reolo. Not when they'd blocked my nephew's flight to the hospital.

The gush of their propulsors sent spurts of mist over the indigo water. A hydrofoil came about. As she blasted her propulsors to climb on step, steam blew, and she leapt like a breaching whale, white-and-black hull clear, and then dashed into the next wave.

I circled, searching for an opening among the pack, but they closed around me like killer whales surrounding a beluga calf. I wouldn't surrender.

Our cannon boomed from the east ridge of the Narrows.

<i>Saak, hold fire. Out of range.</i> I flew higher by pulsing my jets continuously until the boats below shrunk to the size of larvae on the water, but the mountains hemmed me in. The strain of the propulsors ached in my shoulders; I couldn't hold the pulse cadence for long. The Komoko blocked my goal of the Narrows. I had speed and maneuverability, but they had numbers.
My sonar indicated shallow water to the lee of a headland. I dropped and skimmed. A black-sailed vessel broke away. Guns tracked me with a succession of booms and exploding shells. Water geysered to my starboard.
I led to the shoal. There the vessel grounded with sails luffing. A beached whale. Two down and eleoz to go. Not good odds.

Somewhere on the distant east bank, Saak waited with his gun. He transmitted, <i>Laser. Use the laser.</i>

What was I going to do with it? Burn little holes in their sails?

<i>Burn the tanks.</i>

I understood--ignite the hydrogen tanks, but it was too unlikely; the tanks had refractory casings. I saw another weakness first. The hydrofoils were stable, but the catboats heeled over in the wind. The recoil of a cannon almost swamped one. Big guns on little boats.

I powered the laser and sent the blue dot racing on the shifting waves. I made a run and aimed the beam to scorch the sails. The sailboat followed at full speed and heeled over. When I came at her from windward, they took the bait and fired. The boat careened, keel surfacing with the white underbelly upward. She capsized.

<i>Yes!</i> transmitted Saak.

Would they fall for that trick again? Banking, I came at a hydrofoil with my hot laser tracing a line of steam. The blue dot raked across a stern and winked over two men, the wet deck, the cockpit. I struggled to hold the dot near the tank. One second. Two seconds. Three seconds. Bang!

With a lightning flash, the sail shredded, and the ultraviolet blaze ripped the hull apart. It shouldn't have happened, couldn't have happened. The tank must have been faulty.

Bits of charred sail drifted down over the ruined boat. I flew over it to the safety of the Comryez Narrows.