No more track cleaning....ALMOST

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
Sherwood Park,Alberta, Canada
I heard about a product called No-Ox over one year ago and my club decided to give it a try.
The results are amazing. We have only cleaned the tracks on our extensive layout 3 times in one year.
We gave the tracks a complete cleaning job and applied a very thin layer of No-Ox over all the rails. We did not clean the tracks again for 4 months even though we run many trains every weekend.
The tracks have a film on them but our members have all been told..Do not clean the tracks.
Once in a while you can clean your locomotive wheels but leave the tracks alone.
Our trains run around with not a flicker from the engine lights.
No-Ox stands for No Oxidization.

FiatFan

Jul 16, 2004
I would credit both the No-Ox and the fact that your run a lot of trains. Running trains is IMHO, the best way to keep your track clean.

My layout is dormant from April to late November -early December. Soon I will be heading to the basement to run trains again. I just give the stubborn parts a quick hit with a bright boy and away I go. The track is all Atlas code 83 nickel silver.

Tom

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
Hi Tom,
Before we started using N0-OX we had to clean the tracks every week without question.
You might be OK using a Bright Boy for a small layout but even so I would throw it away and get some NO-OX.
Most of the soiling of the rails comes from dirty car wheels and we have some trains pulling 50 and 60 cars.
Dennis

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi...You don't mention what kind of track you're using...
You're right in saying that the major source of track gunk comes from dirty/deteriorating car wheels. The best way to avoid this is to use metal wheels, AND run the trains often...

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
We use Atlas Code 80 and Peco Switches.
I can't see what difference of track makes.
Metal wheels pick up as much dirt as plastic (in my humble opinion)
75% of our members run Micro Trains Cars so there is no way you will get them to change to metal wheels. If you have the best, stick with the best.
Dennis

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Nickel silver, I presume..? NS track oxidizes, just like the old brass used to. The difference between the 2 is that the oxide of NS track is conductive, so the NO-OX isn't just preventing oxidation, it's probably conductive itself...
Metal wheels do pick up the grime left behind by plastic wheels.
The above comments are not offered strictly in response to your particular situation, but as general information that others might find useful, as I presume your observations were posted in the same spirit.

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
I went on line and purchased my NO-OX from SANCHEM, INC
They are in Chicago ILL. 60616
the product # is, NO-OX-ID A Special #R-3266L1
It comes in an 8oz tube but you only need a tiny amount to do a layout.
What my club did and I also did on my own layout, was to smear some on to the pad of a Roco Cleaning Car and just drag it around all your tracks.
Alterativly you could just smear some on to a hard felt pad and do it by hand. NO-OX looks and feels like grease and if you put too much on it may cause some loco slipping so make sure you use it VERY sparingly.
You will be amazed at the results from you engines.