NKP Caboose

COX 47

Dec 28, 2004
This is a NKP caboose that I just finnished...Its a old Roco-AHM from the junk box the I stripped and put new couplers on...Decals are not as good as I would have liked as the old decals came apart and I had to piece them back together on the caboose...Kinda tuff in n scale...Cox 47

IMG_0103.jpg

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hey...!! That's a good looking 'boose....Never mind the decals...In N-Scale you'd need a magnifying glass to see them anyway..!! Show us som'more of your stuff...:thumb:

P.D. I think from my avatar you can tell I'm into cabeese....

COX 47

Dec 28, 2004
Gus I am a big caboose fan too...here is one of my favorites..IC transfer caboose...kit bashed from a Bachmann caboose...Bachman GP 38 handrails..scatched frame with Bman steps...Cox 47

IMG_0038.jpg

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
That's a neat "conversion"....I did something similar with an Athearn caboose kit, of which I had two...so I decided to turn one into a MOW car....:mrgreen:

This is what I ended up with....

Attachments

• HPIM0836.JPG
    HPIM0836.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 5

COX 47

Dec 28, 2004
Gus thats a neet MOW car...Do you have any more MOW cars? I would like to see them...Cox 47

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi...No..That's all I have at this time....Gotta build a couple of more to put together a MOW train....

I do have the "original" of the avatar pic....

It was lighted at first, but the flickering of the lights (truck pick ups) was a real turn-off. I'm going to go the battery/reed switch route to get the lights back on....

Attachments

• HPIM0835.JPG
    HPIM0835.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 5

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi John....You use a battery(s) for power and a reed switch to turn the light on/off. The reed switch is mounted internally and is turned on/off with a magnetic "wand". That way you don't have to poke holes on your cars....

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi...MilesW...Could you elaborate a little on this..? What size/rating capacitor, and is it wired in series or in parallel to the bulb..? Also, what kind of a resistor might I use to bring the light level down, as the 'boose will be operating on DCC (14-16v)...? Tx..

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Gus,

I'd say a fairly large one, I read back in an MR article about this technique for passenger cars. I wish I had better info.

I'd imagine it'd be one of those capacitors that look like modern aluminium beer kegs, but about O scale in size. Sorry for such sketchy info.

Perhaps installing two, one going to each wire would be good also?

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Hey...!! That's a good looking 'boose....Never mind the decals...In N-Scale you'd need a magnifying glass to see them anyway..!! Show us som'more of your stuff...:thumb:

P.D. I think from my avatar you can tell I'm into cabeese....

Actually it DOES matter..A poorly decalled locomotive or car looks bad regardless of scale.Now unless you have bad eye sight you surely don't need a magnifying glass to see N Scale decals..Even with my glasses off I can still decal my N Scale equipment.

COX 47

Dec 28, 2004
Brakie your blessed to be able to see n scale lettering without your glasses...I can't so just have to do the best I can..I was also working with old decals that came apart when I put them on and had to piece them back together..Cox 47

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I really hate when decals fall apart regardless of scale..It makes the job that much harder..

I think you did a very good job under those conditions.:thumb: To be honest I pitch 'em if they come apart in to many places.

Rest assured my comment WAS NOT directed toward you.It was just a blanket statement concerning decaling in general.

Of course hindsight being 20/20 I wish I included that in my first reply.:eek:ops: