Nintendo Magazine "Arwing" build report

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Okay, before I begin, let me say that I have always had a certain fondness for the original SNES game Starfox, particularly it's star starship, the Arwing. I found a copy of a model of this ship a while back, though I'm not sure where, and I decided to build it up. While this model is not exactly a great-looking representation of the Arwing(or even a good-looking one for that matter), it's one shining virtue is that its a great model for speed-building. I built the first one as a test to see how it all goes together in under 45 minutes, and the second one in forty, while at the same time taking pictures of the steps to build it. It consists of only a few parts, but the result is rather eye-pleasing, if not like the actual Arwing. It also has a rather attractive paint scheme. One thing though, be sure to select a bright print setting, as the score lines on the bottom of the fuselage are impossible to see if printed normally.

So with that in mind, here's the buildup of the Arwing:

First of all, this is a rather clever setup that requires you to print on both sides of the paper:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Normally this isn't a problem because the designer has the actual design on one side and some solid color on the back to account for the alignment problems associated with printing double-sided. However, on this model *both* sides have designs on them, and it's flat-out impossible to allign both pages perfectly:

[​IMG]

But in a model this simple, it isn't a big issue. Just cut out the design on the top side as you normally would, as the designs on the other side are just to help you align the flaps. That's another plus: the flaps are all lettered, making this model nearly instruction-free, that is, you don't really need instructions to build it up nice. A practice run couldn't hurt, though.

The first piece you need to start on is the cockpit/wing section:

[​IMG]

Cut it out, score it, and fold it up normally. You probably want to flatten the back end so the flaps don't come apart(for those of you who prefer no flaps, this area actually requires them because there is artwork on both sides of the paper that would be covered up if you glued in flaps):

[​IMG]

While that is drying you can start working on the fuselage:

[​IMG]

Cut the pieces out, and fold up the bottom section of the fuselage:

[​IMG]

Once the bottom section is dry, glue it to the engines, taking adequate precautions against warping:

[​IMG]

You'll need to trim the nose section:

[​IMG]

Once that's together and you're sure it won't warp, leave it alone to dry and glue the nose cone to the cockpit section, as it should have had plenty of time to dry thoroughly:

[​IMG]

After it's dried out a bit, glue the underside of the fuselage to that section, leaving the engines unglued until the nose has had a chance to dry a bit. The dried sections will make it harder to warp, but you still need to stay with it:

[​IMG]

Once it's dry, you can then glue in the engines(you may notice in this pic that the left-hand purple flap thingie didn't reach all the way. This is a fault of the kit and can only be helped by printing off duplicate parts and grafting new purple stuff in):

[​IMG]

Next you need to cut out the undersides of the wings and fold them up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once they're dry glue them to the bottom of the wings, being careful of alignment. It's possible for the bottom to look aligned but the top isn't and vice versa':

[​IMG]

Once those are in you can cut out and fold up the stabilizers. Be careful of the sharp ends, as they are hard to get . . . well . . . sharp. Also, when you're folding up the triangular supports, be sure to get them the same shape:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once those are formed, glue them to the stabilizers, making sure they don't lift off(both of mine had a tendency to lift a bit as they were drying on both copies of the kit I built, so it's probably a problem common to all builds):

[​IMG]

After those parts are dry you can glue them to the wings (being careful of the lifting problem I mentioned earlier) and your Arwing is complete!

[​IMG]

Overall it's not a bad kit, like I said, but because it isn't a true representation of the ship in the manual, which is supposed to be a picture of a *real* Arwing, I'm probably going to design a new kit eventually.
  2. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Excellent build, must've been a fun build, but you're right, it doesn't represent the actual ship. I hope you get to designing your SNES Arwing, I'd love to see how you do ^_^
  3. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Nice clean build there M.Falsehood :D

That's the dirtly lil kit that got me hooked on paper.

It's actually pretty close to the "real" Arwing. The biggest problems other than the excessive panel lines and bright color scheme are the ridge around the side of the Fusealage and the G-Diffusers (Blue dianmod shaped parts in front of the wings) are the completly wrong shape. Other than that it's pretty close.

I built mine of Balsa wood and painted it. I use the original bluleprints of the "real" Arwing for the panel lines but i didn't correct the G-Diffusers nor did i remove the outer ridge.

Wanna see pics?

G1
  4. Millenniumfalsehood

Sure, I'd love to see some pics!

Actually, other problems exist besides that, such as the wings not splaying out enough and being too thick, and the cockpit section being too tall, plus the entire wing assembly is supposed to be connected to the main body with a greebled hydraulic system and not directly attached to the main body.

I'm working on a better design which I'll post here, once I finish the orthographic drawings. :thumb:
  5. Soaring

Soaring Guest

You're right, the scheme is a little light, but it is a nice flamboyant little bugger on your shelf ^_^ And Millenuim, you did a great job on this, Again :)
    A quick build to add to that, 45 minutes? That's amazing, even for a lesser paged model!

I'll speak for Mr.MF here, yes, we'd like to see some pictures!
  6. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hee's some old pics I took back in Flordia. I still need to attach the G-Diffusers but have no where ATM to display it so I haven't glued em on yet. When I do it won't go back in the box.

I'll take some new pics tomorow and probably some shots of the Starfox 2 Arwing I started also.

Oh in the pics you'll notice I used some of the paper model sections like decals.

I'm trying to find the Blueprints I had of the original Arwing. THey would make for a great paper model base for ya M.Falsehood ;)

G1

Attached Files:

7. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Wow. That's is one Beautiful Arwing, I blieve I saw these pictures a while back, when I was looking for some Star Fox stuff!
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

I look forward to the blueprints. I'll probably compare them to mine(when they're finished) to get a well-rounded view of this ship.
  9. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Let me have a look around. It may take a while for me to find em in all my stuff :p

G1
  10. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

The Good,

I found em in my box with the Arwing Model :D

The Bad,

I tried to visit the web page they came from by the 3 year old address on my print outs but it no longer exists :(

The Ugly,

I gotta scan em for ya :p

Want me to send you the scans by e-mail or just post em here?

G1
  11. Millenniumfalsehood

Doncha hate it when that happens? Seeing an old site where you got something and trying it out years later only to find it's gone the way of the dodo? wall1 sign1

I still look forward to seeing them. It'd probably be best to just post them here.
  12. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

All scanned in but the file is too big to post (1.45mb) so where do you want me to send em?

G1
  13. Millenniumfalsehood

Could you send it to photobucket and post it as a 1MB picture?
  14. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Funny thing, I've never used any of those storage placed ever. I usually just e-mail files to folks direct :p

G1
  15. Janx

Janx Member

Now now guys don't distract me with cool looking ships, must get on with the other stuff !

A nice review of a quick kit, ty faslehood :)