Nieuport 17 from Fiddler's Green in 1/72 scale

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Jim Krauzlis, May 26, 2007.

1. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Hi, Everyone!

I started this build a while back using the FG design of the Nieuport 17 which I resized to 1/72 scale. The drive for this project had it's origin after watching the movie Flyboys a few times, quite a few times, truth be known...there's just something about WWI aircraft that has always interested me since I built a few of the old Guillow balsa and tissue kits when growing up.

I wanted to try the Nieuport after seeing them movie and I knew FG had a very nice, simple kit that could be built fairly quickly but provide a nice start for a few enhancements...not too much, just some basic add-ons that would produce a nice little build.

I posted a few photos earlier in the Le Rhone thread when working on the engine to replace the simple version:
    http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4049&page=2&highlight=rhone

Here are a few construction photos, after I installed the lower wing:

[​IMG]

I added a bit to the machine gun:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then added the upper wing, and prop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I will post an update and final photos showing the rigging added to the wings and undercarriage. Thanks for stopping by and taking a look.

Cheers!
    Jim
  2. Alcides

Alcides Member

Jim

Incredible :-o I don't know how you can build so small and so good. Please share some pictures with daylight your model "needs" a picture with very good light :wink:

Regards
    Alcides
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Now that looks real sharp, Jim! A beautiful bird!
    Can't wait to see the rigging on her!

Well done, sir!

Russell
  4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

A Miniature Masterpiece

Jim,

Your 'Flyboys' Nieuport 17 model looks wonderful - I, too, marvel at your precision at this small scale. My build of the same plane is still half finished due to other projects.

Very nice indeed,
    Bengt :D
  5. Krzychu74

Krzychu74 Member

Hello!
    I love old aircraft. Jim, your Nieuport is beautiful! I`m admiring the accuracy and the precision of the workmanship. :)

Best regards.
    Krzychu74
  6. Ziga

Ziga Member

How come I don't see any photos?
  7. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Really great job!
  8. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

One of my favorite WWI aircraft! 1/72 is a great scale for these beauties, but a bit fiddly to build. Hats off to you!
  9. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

Lovely model and subject. I admire people who have the capability to "scale down" - I could not do that. Sure takes care of the storage problem though.
  10. barry

barry Active Member

Wotcher Squinty

Beautiful job as usual see you got the big tweezers out again

respect
  11. josve

josve Active Member

Great work there Jim!!
  12. Jim Krauzlis

Thank you so very much, guys! I'm glad you enjoyed this little project; it was loads of fun building it.

Here are photos of the completed model, with the rigging:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I added the grab handles on the center upper wing as an afterthought...next time I might think about making it a more realistic by cutting out the section like it appears in the original...20/20 hindsight!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Making good use of that huge set of tweezers, bazzer...

[​IMG]

The wheels got a bit cock-eyed, but they are easily straightened...

[​IMG]

And a profile shot...

[​IMG]

I took your advice, Alcides, and took a few outdoor pics as well...hope you like the way they came out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one last photo...

[​IMG]

I should mention I had a bit of an accident when handling it outside, seemed to loosen up the wing rigging due to an errant thumb:oops: , but that should be easily fixed.

Well, I do thank you for stopping by and taking a look. I highly recommend any of the FG models, but find the WWI series are particularly nice little builds. They are not too hard, have pretty nice graphics and build up into a pretty neat little model, even if it doesn't come with a lot of the detail you normally find in the larger kits. You would probably do well to conduct a bit of online research for the details, but even just the three view schematics that come with the instruction sheet provide a good bit of detail that will keep you busy. If anyone has any questions about this build, or critiques, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Cheers!
    Jim
  13. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Jim,

FG just came out with a redraw of the Nieuport 28, and it looks pretty good.
  14. barry

barry Active Member

Looks even better outside mate
  15. Alcides

Alcides Member

Great !!! I asked you for outside pictures to the see the colors.

The build is very nice.

By the way, What do you use for the rigging ?
  16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looks stellar! I really envy those of you that can do biplanes - I need more practice :)
    Chris
  17. Jim Krauzlis

Thanks again, Guys! I do appreciate the very kind words.

I rushed the wheels a bit, as you can tell from some of the pics.

I saw the new Nieuport 28, really nice job! Gotta put that on the "to do" pile.:grin:

Thanks, bazzer! I don't usually take any pics outside of my models, so it was a new experience. Thanks for suggesting it, Alcides! By the way, the rigging is made of fly tying thread that I coated in PVA glue to stiffen it a bit and make it easier to handle.

Chris, you really should try a bi-plane, the mounting of the wings aren't all that impossible, you just need to be sure of the strut placement and alignment. Dry fitting is the key as with most paper modeling, and a bit of forethought for the rigging set up so you have the run of the wires in mind as you work on the struts and wings. I usually put a pin hole in the struts and run the stiffened thread through it, funning free while I secure the end that attaches at the fuselage or inner most starting point. Then, I put a bit of tension on the free end, apply glue where it passes through the strut, let it dry with tension still on to keep it taunt and then trim when dry. Try it, you'll probably like it!

Thanks again for stopping by, folks!

Cheers!
    Jim
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I did build one - crooked as heck. I will try again though!
    Chris
  19. Texman

Texman Guest

Nicely done Jim! Now, build the half scale version of your 1/72 version!

Ray
  20. Jim Krauzlis

Go for it, Chris!:)

Maybe next year, Tex...after I get that padded room reserved.:grin:

Cheers!
    Jim