Next scenery project

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Tyson, great effect as there is only 4" space behind, good use of the trees.
Shamus

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Thanks guys! :) Rich the trees are polyfiber fill from Woodland Scenics. I spray the fiber with automotive primers (black, dk. brown and rust, 1 color per tree of course) then dip them in a bag of various shades of WS coarse ground foam. They are "planted" on toothpicks. I use auto primer because its cheap, dries flat and dries quick. I do touch-ups with cheap hairspray.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Pete I prefer foreground trees like you make, but as you know that can be quite time consuming! I use foreground trees where they stand alone or are somewhat scattered. For the other 1,500 or so I'll stick with this method so I have a CHANCE of getting the layout done. Catt just as soon as I get mine done I'll be there! :D

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Tyson,
The trees I build for the modules take from 1 to 4 hours each to build(one of the pines took 8 hours to complete). The forest on the modules has grown steadily over a fifteen year period. Because I have only 24" depth of scene, on public display, I chose to "model the forest". For a layout, especially for background, I'd use the same technique you've used, and save myself tons of time.
Pete

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Hmmm.... What about a senic overlook spot just off from the middle of that area. Just a little clearing, a couple looking over the valley... or a family with the kids pointing towards the rails. Could be just some guardrailing, or a stone wall, or some "cabling." Maybe even do it in Z scale (force the perspective thing). What'cha think??

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Actually that is a great idea Sir Prize! I don't have room right there to do it, but when the scenery moves on to the next section there is a place in the corner that would be perfect for something like that I think. And I agree Z-scale would be the way to go. :cool: