• Electric & Diesel 1980-present

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
F

Fred_M

I think these are someof those rebuilts...FRED
r012.jpg

Jon Grant

My diesel stuff is hopefully late 80's to early 90's, based in and around either Chicago or Birmingham Alabama.

aak.sized.jpg

aai.sized.jpg

My steam stuff is entirely North East England during the winter of 1917-1918. Sorry, I can't be more specific than that. ;)

aam.jpg

So my next purchase could be absolutely anything

Jon

NYC-BKO

Just received a NYC P2K GP-30 and a P1K F3-A to be stripped and painted NYC, can't beat Trainworlds prices.:D The fleet is growing finally!!:eek:

Gary Pfeil

Hey Jon, I love that switcher in the Belt Line of Chicago scheme. I plan to steal that scheme for some of my freelance roads RS3's.

Gary

Jon Grant

Gary Pfeil said:
Hey Jon, I love that switcher in the Belt Line of Chicago scheme. I plan to steal that scheme for some of my freelance roads RS3's.

Gary
Sounds great. I got my decals from Walthers (Microscale) One set should give you enough yellow lines to do one RS3 plus half of another.

Don't forget to post some pics when you're done.

Jon

RioGrande

Most of what I buy is 70's and 80's rolling stock, so the poll couldn't reprent me - I chose the 1960-1980 group since I've been buying mostly cars built in the 1970's lately, like the PC&F 50' box cars, and the PS CF4750 covered hoppers etc.

Here are some examples of the kind of stuff that gets me excited:
cabrg1.jpg

Look at all them preety PC&F cars!
136cliff.jpg

kf4jqd

A Rock Island Fan...

I am a Rock Island Fan all the way! I go to my local hobby shoppe and Ebay. If I see a RI item, I buy it. However, I will eventually be living in Tennessee. I have been buying Southern!

The Rock still lives with me,
Andy

Attachments

• RIGP7sm.jpg
    RIGP7sm.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 107

Gary Pfeil

Hi Jon, Thanks for the advise about the Microscale decals. Here is the photo that inspired me to do a couple units in that scheme. I have two of the MDC locos which I bought mail order, decorated for NYC. Unfortunately they were in the cigar band scheme, which I don't care about much. Since I've since acquired the LifeLike RS2's in lightning stripes, I thought I'd use the MDC units for my freelance line, the John Galt Line. I know that in order for a freelance line to appear realistic there should be a standard scheme applied to all its locos and that its roster should reflect purchasing decisions reminescent of a real road (predominantly one builder for example) but I don't go for that, I model the NYC so if I want to do something constrained I can work on that. My freelance line is for my pleasure! That said I will try to keep things somewhat orderly. Lots of different builders (just like NYC!) but some family look to paint schemes. The only scheme in use at present is a grey/yellow on a couple switchers. This scheme will work with that well. But this project is a year away at least, so you'll have forgotten about this thread by then! I have my custom decals in white so all I'll need is yellow strips. I'm not much of a deisel expert and would be hard pressed to tell a RS2 from a RS3, but I love where the bell is mounted, the horns seem to be mounted not on the cab roof but on a sheet metal shade, the windows are winterized (I guess) making the unit somewhat distinctive. So I'll give it a go.

Attachments

• P1010488jpg.jpg
    P1010488jpg.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 97

Jon Grant

Way to go Gary, excellent pic - I didn't have that one. Good luck with the project.

The BRC are in the habit of only putting the winter window on the engineer's side and not on the other, which makes for an even more unusual model.

Jon

rcline

Ok people, here is what my wife wants to do, build the layout with several mountains in it and each area between the mountains is a different time period. Now have several tracks running through the mountains with a train from each time period. So when you start off in today’s time, you are running a train from today. Now you are going into a mountain and about to change to another time period when you come out. You stop today’s train inside the mountain and out rolls a train belonging to the next time period matching that time era. That train goes into another mountain, stops and out rolls another train matching the new time era that you have entered.

I told my wife that sounded like a good idea, but just how many trains and time eras are you talking about? Her response - the more the merrier !! I think that her ttrain modeling is really going to her head!

shaygetz

Lessee...

Bachmann's DeWitt Clinton thru rural New York State, Scene 1

---AHM's 4-4-0 Genoa and four coaches nudging thru a herd of buffalo, Scene 2

---AHM's "999" Casey Jones 4-6-0 pulling seven wooden Pullmans thru an 1890's downtown Chicago elevated railroad, Scene 3

---Broadway Limited's USRA 2-8-2 pulling a string of archbar trucked, truss rodded wooden freight cars thru open farm land featuring an airfield loaded with WWI biplane trainers, Scene 4

---a string of flats loaded with half-tracks, jeeps and tanks pulled by a Bowser 2-10-0 Pennsylvania Decapod thru WWII Pittsburgh, Scene 5

---a crack streamliner of corrigated passenger cars pulled by an A-B-B-A set of P2K F units in Santa Fe's famed "War Bonnet" paint traveling in 50's style thru the Tiachappi Loop, Scene 6

---6 hard working Athearn GP 7s in Penn Central paint pulling a string of high cubes by a pair of idling Amtrak E units in the Phase One "Bloody Nose" scheme along the Baltimore/Washington Corridor, Scene 7

---A set of UP Dash 8s pulling a string of double stacks over Donner Pass, Scene 8

...dude, you got your work cut out for you.

ross31r

Uhm, depends on which road i am buying for! if its the ESE, pre-1920s 36ft old time style cars.
If its for the VBTC & TCC then late 1930s era steam (they already have five 4-8-2s, a 2-10-0 and a 4-6-4 between them)

Gary Pfeil

Jon, Thanks for that bit of information! I would never of thought about the possibility of the windows being different on each side. And it will make for an interesting model! Thanks again.

hoyle

If it is happening now it is happening on my layout.Go Modern. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :) :)

CharlesH.

I plan on purchasing a Broadway Limited 2-8-2 this year, as well as a few steam-era freight cars. Are those engines worth it?