Next addition to The Academy?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Rather than a poll, as we did last month, I am just asking for suggestions. Dave Hagan has kindly agreed to move any "nominated" threads to The Academy.

So... if you have a suggestion, please post a link in your response.

The Academy is an invaluable source of information for all of us here at The Gauge, so let's keep it up to date...

Here is my suggestion:

Charlie's Making Styrene Look Like Wood from Scratching & Bashing in May.

Andrew

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
My 2 cents.

I have found many posts helpful and inspiring. Here are some of what I consider to be the best.

Tyson Railes........."N-Scale climax?"

cacmage..............."concrete arch bridge"

Woodie................."Rural Agents Pty Ltd"

shamus................."First 0n30 scratchbuild"

Matthyro..............."What is it?"

This is what I think.

Dave Hagan

Jul 23, 2001
Just to clarify that all new additions to the Academy will be subject to review. Where a thread is added we will 'tidy' the thread by removing posts not relevant to the article.

Making Styrene Look Like Wood by Charlie has been approved and added to the Academy.

TrainClown, you need to supply a direct link to the threads you are nominating.

Regards
Dave Hagan

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
OOOOOoooops!

Sorry about that :D here I'll try it again.

Here they are again.

<--HTML code starts here-->
<a href="http://www.the-gauge.com"><b>THE GAUGE-Model Trains-Scratchin' & Bashin'-N-Scale Climax?</b></a>
<--HTML code ends here-->

What am I doing wrong? Why didn't this work?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Trainclown...

Here is the format for making a clickable link in your message. To link to this thread, for example:

<url=http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5932>Next addition to The Academy?</url>

except change the "<" type bracket to the "[" type.

You then get this:

Next addition to The Academy?

To get the proper url, just go to the thread, and then copy whatever it says from the address bar in your browser.

Also...

THANKS DAVE! :D

Andrew

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I'm with Trainclown's suggestions...but I'll let him do the hard stuff and figger out howta post 'em:D :D :D :D :p Ain't too hip to all this Trekkie 'puter stuff...now where did I put my teef....

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks!

Wow!
I'm quite honored guys...Thanks!

I also think Tyson's N scale Climax article would be a very nice addition to The Academy.:cool:

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
Trying to type addresses (URL's) is like threading the needle, frustrating. Best just to do a copy and past, which is a no brainer. If I have several addresses, I will open word or note pad and paste the different addresses there. Then I hit "edit" then "select all" then copy, then paste this copy into the post.

Dave Hagan

Jul 23, 2001
Hi Rick, there's no voting on additions to the Academy.

We review each thread on a case by case basis and make a decision if it's suitable material for the Academy.

I've just had time to take a quick look at some of Trainclowns suggestions and I know that some of them won't make it in. The Academy is like a tutorials section and some of the threads don't go into enough detail to be added. Threads added to the Academy have to give step-by-step instruction about techniques, materials used, potential problems, etc

Regards
Dave Hagan

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I've set up a sticky in the photography section for posting links to your favorite how-to type threads that don't make it to the academy. Please read the thread before posting links, so we don't have duplicate or unqualified links. Posting a link in the sticky will not have an impact on it being placed in the academy.

Remember, if you have a thread you want to keep track of that doesn't make it to the academy, and does not qualify to be in the sticky, you can always save it as a bookmark or favorite in your browser.

Benny

Jul 11, 2003
Visit site
If you DON't put the "what is this" thread in there, then I don;t know WHAT you WILL put in there!!!

Though I might recommend Robin writing it up in a more progressive style such as that you might find in a railroad magazine...title it something like "Coaling Towers In Cereal Boxes" or "Working in Cardboard."

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
All possible additions for the Academy/Archives should be in some form of a tutorial, showing by the use of photographs just how the project was conceived. Also, if at all posiible, no comments should be added to the "How to"
shamus

Dave Hagan

Jul 23, 2001
I know we've been a bit slow dealing with members suggestions to the Academy. With Shamus back on board we'll try to add at least one new thread every week.

Regards
Dave Hagan

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Weathering a truck by Val has been placdd into the Academy/Archives
Congrats Val

Shamus