DanMacK

Nov 25, 2005
Ontario, Canada
www.trainweb.org

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Chronologically, how does the RSC13 relate to an RS11? With a higher model number, I would expect it to be newer, but the RS11 has the newer style body with what became Alco trademark notches for number boards, while the RSC13 has a body more like the RS1,2,&3.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Is it possible that the individual railroads had different building or operations practices that would account for the difference (I know this was the case with steamers). Since Dan's photo lists MLW as the builder, would this be sufficient to explain any difference with an "original" RSC-13 from ALCO?

Andrew

galt904

Jan 17, 2005
Beachville ON
Russ Bellinis said:
Chronologically, how does the RSC13 relate to an RS11? With a higher model number, I would expect it to be newer, but the RS11 has the newer style body with what became Alco trademark notches for number boards, while the RSC13 has a body more like the RS1,2,&3.

Consider the RS23 http://www.niagararails.com/cgi-bin/rosters1.cgi?/rosters/osr/0500/503osr.jpg which looks more like the switcher than the RS11,18 etc. It seems that some of the model numbers were related to sequence, and some to horsepower, and some to random selection.

And siderod, check these pics, there's a bunch of the same style of RSC13, as well as the "newer style" RSC14. http://www.niagararails.com/cn1700b.shtml

DanMacK

Nov 25, 2005
Ontario, Canada
www.trainweb.org
Siderod,

It looks like you posted 2 sets of RSC14's. The RSC14 was a de-rated RS18 on RSC13 trucks. The RSC13 was basically MLW's answer to the RSC3. The trucks on the RSC2 that Siderod posted are a variant, and similar to the trucks on the Seaboard RSC-3 that green_elite_cab posted.

The 'C' in this case would indicate 3-axle trucks IMO

The RSC13 was a Canada-Only model much like the S13, RS18, et al. The best way to tell an RSC13 from an "RSC14", which is a CN designation BTW, is that the RSC13 has a low hood compared to the high hood of the RS18/RSC14.

Regards,
Dan MacKellar
CEO Dullbridge & North Lake Railway
Dan's Railroad Gif Roundhouse
http://www.trainweb.org/rrgifroundhouse

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I won't even try to wade into the indenty crisis your engine seems to be going through. I just want to say it is a sharp looking unit and I hope it serves many miles on your pike. (The CN paint is really good!)

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Glen Haasdyk said:
I won't even try to wade into the indenty crisis your engine seems to be going through. I just want to say it is a sharp looking unit and I hope it serves many miles on your pike. (The CN paint is really good!)

Thanks Glenn :D

If nothing else it got the boys busy serching the web :D :D :D

I think it sarted out an RS 13 and I have a feeling it will end up as an RS 13.

But OOOOOO what fun we are having. and learning a lot too. ;)

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Glen Haasdyk said:

Is the Alco having an indenty crisis, or are the gaugers suffering motive confusion? :rolleyes:

Either way, it's a lovely ride for some LPB! :D :D :D

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Chris,The RS13 appears to be the same length as the RS2/3..The model picture is more then likely a Atlas/Kato RSD4/5.Also the car body doesn't appear to be as round as the RSD4/5 but looks similar to the RS1.