Newest project, Biker Scout Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

angevine

I thought I would start a new thread as I am starting to build Julius Perdana's amazing Biker Scout outfit. I am doing a beta build of the helmet in 80gsm paper first to see how it all goes together before switching to card.

I printed out all 79 pages of the plans and started to piece the pieces together.

At first it looks a bit daunting, pasting pages together to make one large piece to cut out but as it progresses I can start to see how it will all fall together.

I can see that this is not going to be a weekend model :eek:.

Its only the start but I will document as I go. Maybe it will help others as they build.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The main problem I have encountered is by my own doing of using paper for a test build. As you can see on the pictures the glue, although very thinly spread, has caused the paper to ripple. Otherwise so far so good. More to follow.

just an idea ...

i recently restarted building ..i too was always suffering from wrinkled paper syndrone ...but i found a good solution..

my idea works good with most things and is especialy good for the parts that need laminating to card..

DOUBLE SIDED TAPE...

i'm currenly building two models and using tape on both..

for the model featured here you could print parts onto standard paper,use double sided to join together the part,then once you cut out each part back each part with another piece of paper again using the tape,making the parts double paper thickness and keeping them easy to form ...

anyway just an idea!

Stev0

Cutting through double sided tape will result in your knife being quickly covered in gummy glue.

silveroxide

When I do large projects, I usually use spray adhesive or tacky glue. It works rather well for me. It works extremely well with Aluminum to give a metal look.

angevine

The build begins

I started with the mouth piece.

After cutting out all the parts and several dry fittings I found that the best way to build this piece was to build it from the inside out. Starting with the centre piece, then the frame finally followed by the outer cover. This made the building of the piece easier and the pieces fitted together alot better.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Next I started on the Visor Cover.

Initial cutting went well, only found that it was difficult to see where the cutting should end where the front frame meets the cover. Several small cuts later and test folding I found that there is only approx 20mm where the frame attaches to the cover. The rest of the support and strength comes when the cover is attached to the frame.

When the frame and cover are fully attached it already starts to strengthen up, even though the initial build is being completed in paper. It will obviously be much stronger when made in card.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I still have the inner parts to complete on the visor cover but it is quite easy to see already how big this is actually going to be.

There are a couple of pieces, which were on the same sheets as the visor cover and mouth piece, which I cannot see where they go or how they attach. Maybe Julius can advise.

picture.php

This piece must fit on the mouth piece across the bridge of the nose but I cannot see how to attach.

picture.php

These pieces (when pages are joined together) must go somewhere. These can be found on the same sheets as the visor cover.

Enough building for tonight will add more soon.

thanks a lot Robert, for doing this. I don't have the time yet to try this... I hope this sunday i'm going to try it myself. This would be.. umm i don't know.. maybe the second paper scout trooper around, as Skip also doing this costume too. and he did very very well on other starwars costume.

part 2 is on progress, the nose detail parts and visor plan, long way to go haha.

Jules

PaperAir

I too was thinking of trying this one out someday.when I do large projects I use a glue stick to attach sheets together.never had a wrinkle problem.

angevine

Sorry for the slow updates on this project. I am in the process of moving house so things have been a bit delayed. I will try and update some more tonight. Please bare with me!

angevine

Horror!!!!!!

To my absolute horror, all my hard work at getting this model built has come to a defeating blow.

Having just moved I ensured that all my card models where protected whilst in transit. Having finally got to the model box today I have found that half the models have been damaged and squashed (that will teach me not to move them myself) and the beloved Helmet Beta has been destroyed :curse::curse:wall1

I am re-printing now and will start again.

Life Sucks!

Millenniumfalsehood

Think of it as God telling you that you need to use gel or stick glue this time. :wink: Seriously, stick glue or gel glue will neither one warp paper. I'm currently using it on a 50" Star Destroyer, and so far none of the humongous panels have the slightest warp caused by wet glue. The same cannot be said of the bumps the understructure is causing, but that's to be expected in a typical build by me. :eek:ops:

But, seriously, stick or gel glue, man!! :cool:

And I'm anxiously awaiting this build. The scout-trooper's helmet is one of the coolest designs in the Empire.

oriod01

Julius rules!

I just discovered his costuming site the other day even though I have frequented his paper replika site for some time now. I look forward to seeing this finished, the guy's even going to do the pistol and sniper rifle! I hope he does Vader next (although 'next' will be quite some time). Imagine a Vader helmet that breaks down; helmet, mask (with interior details), neck brace! If anyone would go to that level of detail it would be Julius!:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.