Newest Gauge Cars

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by rockislandmike, Jan 20, 2003.

1. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

While it was agreed that most railcars should be blue and denoted with either GAUG or TGR as the roadname, I have diverged from this philosophy. As Alanis would say, rather ironic considering the details/guidelines are on my website.

At any rate, as the story goes, The Gauge Railway was reorganized in 1977 under the short-lived presidency of P. Edmunds Shazeron. Hoping to create a public company trading on one of the major stock markets, Shazeron spun off all tank cars of the company, and a significant number of covered hoppers, to a new company called Gauge Railcar Leasing (GAUX). This was to protect the company in case of any major catastrophe, a move that was heralded by the market.

His second effort met with much less success, a short-lived paint scheme known by insiders as "The Tachometer". Boxcars were painted white with black and red lettering, and a new logo that looked like a tachometer in the same red and black colors. Neither employees nor customers were ever taken by the new paint scheme, and only a handful of cars were ever painted with "The Tachometer" (PS-the Tachometer logo was created by my good friend Kim Erickson).

The two units I have thus far created for The Gauge Railway are in this vein: a GAUX tankcar for the transportation of anhydrous ammonia; and a boxcar in the now infamous "Tachometer" scheme.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Nice boxcar and story! :cool:
  3. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Nice - I like the variation on the "Gauge" :) :)