Rollinthunder91

Feb 5, 2008
WBL, Minnesota
Hello,
My name is Matthew Cusick.
I just started building my N scale model railroad of the Great Northern and i'm still trying to figure out what kind of wood i should use for my table. The railroad will run about 10x10 of the shelf of my wall.

I recently gave all my old HO scale stuff to member Kevinkrey, you may have seen it in one of his posts.

I also do custom 1:18 scale cars and trucks. I recently completed a 1934 Ford Pick-up Rat Rod with a blown chevy 350, so if anyone has this interest please contact me.​

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Welcome!

You came to the right place Matt.

Yes,he showed off all the HO stuff you gave him and I remember wishing you were MY friend!

Chris

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Hello Matthew: Welcome aboard. If you are contemplating a shelf layout of not over 24 inches in depth, I will suggest using some metal, heavy duty shelf brackets. There are some available that are rated for a 300 pound load. You do have to attach them to studs rather than just the wallboard. You could then use either 1/2 inch plywood with foam insulation over it for your basic shelving. There are other suggestions that you will probably get. Pick what fits you and your pocketbook.

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
Hi Matt, oh wait, you did this on my computer. sign1

He does have a ledge in jis room, going down 10' on both, there will be extensoins on the two ends, for turns, it will be like a dogbone, only bent, I might e helping him with the build, but I might lend him the camera to get some pics.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If you have ledges in your room, they should have a header on all of them to support the ledges at the front edge. If you need to extend the ledges out for a bit wider benchwork, you can bolt the shelf brackets directly to the header.

Rollinthunder91

Feb 5, 2008
WBL, Minnesota
yes it will be 2 ten foot shelves. It'll be the Great Northern railway. i do better modeling cars than trains though. I just finished modeling the '34 Ford and my next project mill be a mercury rat rod.