thomas_fan

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all,
The last time I played with, built models for trains was about 10 years ago but have recently been re-bitten by the bug. I'm hoping to reuse some tracks, etc from the old childhood train set and start over and build my own. As it was such a long time ago and Dad did most of the work (probably so he could also play with it) I could use any hints people have on designing and building a set. I'm not really sure where to start- I have a fair bit of track and a few buildings (and of course several trains and carriages) to work with.
Cheers... glad I stumbled across this forum
Kate

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Hello and welcome. I'll bet you are right about your dad's help. The track situation can be something that requires a bit of work and evaluation. Is it short sections of track that came with a train set? If so, you will need to make sure that the connectors are tight and the ends of the track are clean. Beyond that, make sure the rail tops are clean and your locomotive wheels are clean. That word "clean" sure comes up a lot doesn't it? There were some brands of track that used steel or brass rail. The steel (Bachmann brand) tends to rust and lose conductivity. Try a magnet to identify. Brass was the old standby for many years but tends to build up a coating which must be removed periodicly. Nickle silver rail, the current state of the art, works well but still needs an occasional going over. keep us posted on any problems that you encounter and Happy Model Railroading.

Kanawha

Apr 1, 2007
Glendale, AZ
Welcome! If you have any questions feel free to ask! You may want to poke around the internet or your local hobby shop to see whats new in model railroading, 10 years is a long time. In a sense, welcome back!! :)

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Welcome to The Gauge!

I will echo what Kanawha said. Spend some time reading magazines, searching the net, reading topics here at The Gauge, and hanging at the LHS. Try to find out what aspect of the hobby most interests you. Then you can make some decisions about what you want and what you need to do to make it a reality.

It is possible with today's technology to have very reliable trains that are fun to run, instead of having to hassle with them constantly.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hello Kate! Glad you could join us. Starting can seem a bit daunting but it helps to have an idea of what you want to accomplish. What kind of space are you thinking of working with? Do you want to have a track set up that lets you run a train continually, or maybe more than one? Do you have any interest in what we call "operations" (that is setting out and picking up cars/ carriages to and from industries? Do you imagine countryside scenes or city life? Questions questions. :)

Whatever you may want to do have fun and feel free to ask questions or bounce ideas off the group. We all gain a lot of inspiration from each other here!

Ralph

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Hi Kate.
There is a lot of scope and possibility in Model Railways. There are a lot of different ways of doing things and even more ways of doing things wrong. And "differently" is not the same as wrong.

Best thread for a beginner is Nazgul's "Don't laugh, It's my first attempt". In less than a year we took him from raw beginner to accomplished modeller who gives us tips.

The point to remember is that whatever you want to do is right and proper unless you violate the building or electrical codes. (And you can even do that if you model a building where they were violated! :twisted: )

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I noticed your name "Thomas Fan". You are not the only one here. Type in Thomas and you will find a lot of posts regarding the pros and cons of TTTE and friends.

thomas_fan

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Wow! Judging by the quick and numerous responses I guess I will be using this forum a lot when I come across any problems (and no doubt I will!).
My old train set is HO scale so I'll be sticking with that- near all the trains, equipment, etc is Hornby. It started out as a single oval track with one Thomas wind up train and built up from there into a 2m x 2m layout with 2 tracks that connect, a few different elevations and 3 electric trains. Of course I could restore this track but lack of room and a desire to create something of my own makes me want to start over. I was thinking of getting a small board to start with to practice some terain techniques and roads, etc...
I've been looking on the net at whats available from shops (and ebay!) but will try to reuse what I can to save some $$$.
Will keep you updated on my progress and be asking for some hints as I go!
Thanks all
Kate

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
These folks around here are outstanding, and with the collection of knowledge they have there is very little i think will go unanswered ;).

I've been constantly amazed at the great tips i get reading through the posts!! Just make sure to ask :), and search the forums for things that come to mind there are tons and tons of ppictures, hints tips etc laying about waiting for you to pick up!! ;).

I picked up some of bachmann's thomas trains and have been really happy w/ them. Actually last weekend my son left the trains on and it ran for 48 hours straight!!! W/o one derail and when i was going to work monday morning i heard something and looked downstairs, low and behold there was thomas making his merry way round the track pulling annie and clarrabelle :).

Wow! Judging by the quick and numerous responses I guess I will be using this forum a lot when I come across any problems (and no doubt I will!).
My old train set is HO scale so I'll be sticking with that- near all the trains, equipment, etc is Hornby. It started out as a single oval track with one Thomas wind up train and built up from there into a 2m x 2m layout with 2 tracks that connect, a few different elevations and 3 electric trains. Of course I could restore this track but lack of room and a desire to create something of my own makes me want to start over. I was thinking of getting a small board to start with to practice some terain techniques and roads, etc...
I've been looking on the net at whats available from shops (and ebay!) but will try to reuse what I can to save some $$$.
Will keep you updated on my progress and be asking for some hints as I go!
Thanks all
Kate