Newbie Train Modeling !!

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Tuned MP5T, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Tuned MP5T

Tuned MP5T New Member

Hello Everybody:

I wanted to started in N Scale but then this caught my eye (see below picture). I know people say to start small, but I think they meant for the layout. This is the Aristocraft Dash 9. Is Aristocraft products top quality for G Scale? How is their track also? Also are these safe to run in house or they meant for outside use?

Thanks,
    Robb

[​IMG]
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

These are quite safe for running indoors. The only ones you would worry about are steam engines that burn something to produce steam. I think they operate on a slightly higher voltage than N scale; definitely a higher amperage.
    Can't comment on quality. You don't have to stick to the same manufacturer of trains and track -- mix and match for both.
  3. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

I like Aristo - The quality is great for the prices. :) I redisigned my layout last Thanksgiving. Tore out all the old stuff & completly redesigned it. Most of the engines (some Bachmann, like the Climax) & all the track is Aristo!! Here's what I did in less than a year :) woking 1 - 2 nights a week:

[​IMG]
  4. Oldmax

Oldmax Member

:thumb: Rember

To run some Engines "G" you have to have 20 ' Dia Track But most engines will run on 10 ' . If space if small might want to use smaller Gauge. Voltage is (Max) 24V /DC for LGB and (Max) 18V /DC for other Man. You can useLGB on 18V but don't use other engines on LGB transformer. as will burn out Smoke units.
  5. Philinbos

Philinbos Member

As to your quality issue, I've been running G scale outdoors and in for 12 or so years.
    In my opinion/experiance -based on engine reliability only. From top to bottom

Accucraft ( I don't own any of these, am told the quaility is outstanding)
    Hartland
    LGB
    Aristocraft
    Bachman
    USA Trains
    I know lots of folks will order these differently then I, and if you factor in the scope of offerings, graphics, and cost my list would differ slightly. There is also a Company called New Bright whose offerings used to be trash - I'm told that their quality (and price) has been substancially raised in the fairly recent past.
    Hope you find this helpful