Newbie - South African Railways/Spoornet modeler

SARModel

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Hi all.

New to the forum, so I'll introduce myself.

I live in kiwiland, but I model South African Railways in HOn3-1/2(3' 6" gauge prototype running on 12mm gauge track). Saven't yet got round to building a layout, but got quite a bit of rolling stock together, and quite a few locos, including 3 3' 6" garrats and one 2' garrat (Check out http://www.frank-dog.demon.co.uk if you don't know what a garrat is).

Anyone else out there with the same modeling interests, I'd be glad to chat.

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Welcome SARModel, Yes there are some interested in narrow gauge in here to say nothing of those interested in "hinged locos" :) .
It's always good to get new members from around the world.
Hope you find The Gauge as interesting and helpful as the rest of us.

No doubt you will have requests to post pictures of your Garrat loco.

Have fun.

Errol

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
Born in the RSA

Welcome to the Gauge Whats a Kiwi doing ,thinking about the SAR, Have you visited SA? Here is a picture of a Garret painted by a friend of mine. Lots of pictures of SAR Loco's e-mail me Good luck with your modeling

Attachments

• garrat.jpg
    garrat.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 140

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Welcome aboard SAR! Love to see some pics of your locos when you get a chance :)

I lost bid to a nice little electric steeple cab in SAR clothes. I was very dissappointed! I was mainly interested in the engine itself more thanthe roadname, but I woulda left it as a SAR for sure!

And like Errol said, it's great to have some folks from different locations on board! :D :D :D

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
Hi SARModel........ Yes that is one of Davids paintings,pride of place in my Train Space is a very large copy of the 15F signed by him. Hope your move to NZ was agood one, have a few friends there, my kids moved to the Uk and Canada

SARModel

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Hi Jon

That steeple cab is one of Lima's cludges - there have never been locos like it in South Africa (Although there was an ES loco, which was a steeple cab, but nothing like the Lima one). Lima were notorious for doing this, there was a lot of European or American stuff they tried to paint in SAR livery and pass of as the real thing. Life-Like were similar, they made an SAR loco that was a sort of a combination of a 5E and a 6E, and a Blue Train carriage, but then painted a lot of US outline stuff in SAR livery - the most amusing was an F unit.

I have some photos of my locos on the web, have a look at http://www.frank-dog.demon.co.uk

regards

Frank

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by SARModel
Hi Jon

That steeple cab is one of Lima's cludges - there have never been locos like it in South Africa (Although there was an ES loco, which was a steeple cab, but nothing like the Lima one). Lima were notorious for doing this, there was a lot of European or American stuff they tried to paint in SAR livery and pass of as the real thing. Life-Like were similar, they made an SAR loco that was a sort of a combination of a 5E and a 6E, and a Blue Train carriage, but then painted a lot of US outline stuff in SAR livery - the most amusing was an F unit.

Yep, I think it was a Lima, now that you mention it, cute little bugger. Don't feel bad about your prottypes being butchered by ignorant, lazy, or makieting minded productdeveloupers; try to find a nice Plymouth, painted prototypically. There never was one painted up like Tyco, Model Power and all the other's painted them. Sante Fe did have one, but it lived at the cresote plant and wasn't all dolled up for road use in silver and red! Tyco made a fairly accurate MDT, if you discount the narrow gauge suspension (outboard springs) used for the standard gauge model. All the DDT's are swollen up to the size of MDT's. A lot of them would make nice On30 models!
bmdt8.jpg

I have some photos of my locos on the web, have a look at http://www.frank-dog.demon.co.uk

Looks like you've taken matters into your own hands and just made your own outa brass! :D :D :D