Newbie question-switches

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by procol68, Apr 20, 2005.

1. procol68

procol68 New Member

I'm wanting my turnout switches to be automatic when the train passes over prior to the switch. How would this be achieved? Is there a cetain type of switch (throw switch) and light activation (ie photocell)? How would this get wired in? PLEASE HELP!![​IMG]
  2. 77railer

77railer Member

Are you using dcc or dc? And if it is dcc what system?

77Railer
  3. procol68

procol68 New Member

I'm just using dc for now, until I get the whole setup complete and gather more info on dcc. Not sure if my current engines are dcc compatable, and I'm trying to build up a section at a time.
  4. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Procol...

The short answer is yes, it is do-able, and there are a variety of ways. However, you will need someone with more electronics know-how than I to give you the details.

Someone will be along soon, so sit tight!

Andrew
  5. procol68

procol68 New Member

Thanks!

Thanks! I appreciate all the help I can get. This place is great!;)
  6. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

You can do what you want with s sensor switch somewhere. Photo-electric is one way, a magnetic-activated reed switch, like what you would find on a door security system, would be another. Whatever you do, just be sure it provides a short pulse to the switch coil or it will burn out. They are not made for sustained operation. You might also want to put in a manual switch to maybe override the automatic one, or disable it. There is another discussion here in the tech forum regarding the use of reed switches as a sensor for mimic panels.

Just a few first thoughts, maybe someone else will have done this and can comment first hand.:D