Newbie question-switches

procol68

I'm wanting my turnout switches to be automatic when the train passes over prior to the switch. How would this be achieved? Is there a cetain type of switch (throw switch) and light activation (ie photocell)? How would this get wired in? PLEASE HELP!!
rolleyes.gif

procol68

I'm just using dc for now, until I get the whole setup complete and gather more info on dcc. Not sure if my current engines are dcc compatable, and I'm trying to build up a section at a time.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Procol...

The short answer is yes, it is do-able, and there are a variety of ways. However, you will need someone with more electronics know-how than I to give you the details.

Someone will be along soon, so sit tight!

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
You can do what you want with s sensor switch somewhere. Photo-electric is one way, a magnetic-activated reed switch, like what you would find on a door security system, would be another. Whatever you do, just be sure it provides a short pulse to the switch coil or it will burn out. They are not made for sustained operation. You might also want to put in a manual switch to maybe override the automatic one, or disable it. There is another discussion here in the tech forum regarding the use of reed switches as a sensor for mimic panels.

Just a few first thoughts, maybe someone else will have done this and can comment first hand.:D