newbie needs help with ID

jimbo

Feb 1, 2005
Hi, new to the board. :wave: Need help in the identification of the attached engine. What is it?
Thanks for any info. Jim H.

Attachments

• black widow unk (Small).JPG
    black widow unk (Small).JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 104

CN1

May 6, 2003

jimbo

Feb 1, 2005
Thanks guys. I bought this in the 70's as a used engine but never ran it much. It look like new, with very little wear. I thought it was an Athearn but can't find it in their catalog. I've been away from my trains for a long time and a friend is getting me interested again.

jimbo

Feb 1, 2005
Forgot to ask, Did SP ever use them in the Black Widow paint scheme? If so, For freight only or also some passenger service?

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
I'm fairly certain it's an Athearn as to the best of my knowledge, they were the 1st and only ones (for some years) to have produced this FM Trainmaster unit. Yes they wore the "Black Widow" scheme on the SP. Their final years were served in commuter service on the San Jose corridor. I had the pleasure of seeing and HEARING one while on a trip up there for an NMRA divisional meet back in the early 70's. Story has it that the SP tried unsuccessfully to retire them several times but could find nothing that performed as well for the task.

jimbo

Feb 1, 2005
It's just the way I bought it so I haven't done anything to it. I was wondering if the paint scheme was factory or custom also. Whoever put the wire handrails on it melted one of the steps a little, probably heating the wire to get it in the hole. The more I look at it, I think it is factory. I pulled the shell off and it looks like Athearn motor and frame. The trucks are metal side frames and plastic gear housing.

jimbo

Feb 1, 2005
CN1 said:
It looks pretty old. Is that "horn-hook" couplers? Anyways the trucks look cast as a one-piece unit with a modicum of details. I would venture a guess:1960-1970?

I don't know who made that model. Maybe Tyco or AHM
The couplers are Kadee #5, I probably put them on as most of my trains back then had them. Jim H.

jimbo

Feb 1, 2005
jim currie said:
Jimbo could you post a pic with bottom view.
I have taken a picture of the underside and of the unit without the shell.

Attachments

• P1010006 (WinCE).JPG
    P1010006 (WinCE).JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 50
  • P1010002 (WinCE).JPG
    P1010002 (WinCE).JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 51