Newbie in Norfolk, VA [USA] says 'howdy'

rbeach84

New to Paper
Hello all, very glad to join the group. Just recently got interested in the world of paper modeling while surfing about and was very impressed by the range and beauty of PM models on the web. I've been a long time plastic modeler (primarily) though I do recall when I was about 6 or 7 years young making some "dynamite" sticks for my GI Joes using rolled paper, thread and some red enamel paint (Testors gloss.) Ha! Now, I've just about finished my first bonafide PM [downloaded from Lower Hudson Valley's site] of a Battlestar Galactica Viper MkI (I resized it to 1:48 scale, yet another cool thing about paper.) It has been very enlightening, to say the least. I certainly now have an even greater admiration for the models I've seen on the Web - paper is a tough medium to work in without a doubt! I see myself doing paper and also using some of the kits for "cross-over" into styrene card models (I usually try and stick to 1:48 scale subjects, and some stuff just is not available in that scale - except in paper form!) So, I see this as a continuation of my personal "modeling journey" as I learn new skills. In a way, I believe I have rediscovered a primal modeling joy that I've been missing. After all, it has been a while since I've sat down with some basic tools and became completely "immersed". Looking forward to much more.
Cheers! Robert Beach

Elliott

Too late! You've been bitten by the bug. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated into the card modeling community. It is addictive you know. Got any pics of your Viper build? In case you haven't noticed we love to see pics! Not mandatory though. :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forums! There's a lot of information here. Browse around and jump in. :cool:

Welcome aboard Robert! It's the model, not the medium - but paper does make scratch builds easier and even simple graphics beat my best paint job any day.

Yogi