newbie....here too..

eleewhm

May 6, 2006
from Asia..singapore...have been lurking around the forums...and reading those wonderful posts on trees...hehehe gonna make a forest.. :).. i have heaps of those foam in my office which i could use to DIY

btw hows using scouring pad as a lawn..?...

i will be going into N scale..and theme will be japanese.... got a handful of buildings from Tomytec collection..and those trailers too...

just a random picture ..... the N scale diecast car cost me just a little over 0.60 US cents.
tomix4ck.jpg

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
eleewhm said:
..... the N scale diecast car cost me just a little over 0.60 US cents.
Welcome to The Gauge. Cool deal on the car. Was that a one time shot or are they available commercially for that price? What type/kind is it?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Welcome to the Gauge. I presume by "scouring pad" you are talking about the green "Scotch Brite" type and not the steel wool type pads. The size of the weave in the Scotch Brite pad is way out of scale for an n-scale lawn. I think died sawdust would be better if ground foam is not available locally for you.

eleewhm

May 6, 2006
thanks for the cool recep..

TrainNut said:
Welcome to The Gauge. Cool deal on the car. Was that a one time shot or are they available commercially for that price? What type/kind is it?

most of the design are from japanese car makers....and its from those capsule machines.. and need some luck also...as the capsule machines contain other toys too.......:)... i now have total 17 cars... will be getting more....

Russ Bellinis said:
Welcome to the Gauge. I presume by "scouring pad" you are talking about the green "Scotch Brite" type and not the steel wool type pads. The size of the weave in the Scotch Brite pad is way out of scale for an n-scale lawn. I think died sawdust would be better if ground foam is not available locally for you.

yup..scotch brite type.....ground foam is avaliable locally...i was thinking of saving some $$
http://www.btghost.com/get/63292971.torrent

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
To save dollars, you might try dying sawdust. You want to vary the color of the green a little, uniform green just doesn't look right to me. I think the scotch brite pad would make a nice tangle of dead branches under some trees in a tyrpical "wet" forrest scene. I say wet, because out here in Southern California, many of our forrests are very dry, and consequently don't get the heavy undergrowth that you would see in other parts of the US.

eleewhm

May 6, 2006
Ralph said:
Welcome aboard! The vehicles are cool but my eye was drawn to that neat looking building. Did you scratchbuild it?
Ralph

i hope i can scratchbuilt to that level.. :) naa..its a ready made unit from TomyTec...its the machinami collection

link here for main page

and building page

eleewhm

May 6, 2006
now i am cracking my head what i need for a DCC N scale layout...
most probably will be going for the KATO line of trains...

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Welcome to the Gauge. :wave: :wave: Cool cars, Wish we had somewhere over here in the US to get them, and at that price! :thumb: :thumb:
Russ Bellinis said:
Russ, you haven't seen my lawn. sign1 sign1 A "Scotch Brite" would be just right for an N scale version of it. :D :D :D

eleewhm

May 6, 2006
Pitchwife said:
Welcome to the Gauge. :wave: :wave: Cool cars, Wish we had somewhere over here in the US to get them, and at that price! :thumb: :thumb:

Russ, you haven't seen my lawn. sign1 sign1 A "Scotch Brite" would be just right for an N scale version of it. :D :D :D

pitchwife..lets see that lawn..and i will be inspired :thumb:

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
eleewhm said:
pitchwife..lets see that lawn..and i will be inspired :thumb:
Just imagine a sea of green. Then you see a wake as something unseen is moving through it. Then, at the edge emerges a full grown collie. Now spatter with yellow and white spots for the dandelions and you have a perfect picture of it. :D :D :D

eleewhm

May 6, 2006
Pitchwife said:
Just imagine a sea of green. Then you see a wake as something unseen is moving through it. Then, at the edge emerges a full grown collie. Now spatter with yellow and white spots for the dandelions and you have a perfect picture of it. :D :D :D

thats what i tot i would see :thumb: :thumb:

would be using the scouring pad as hedges along buildings...

eleewhm

May 6, 2006
hi guys need some advice here...

am going to use those methods mention here to make trees...

chopping up some old foam.... and coloring it...

i am wondering for the coloring...what sort of paint do you guys use?...

i got some arcylic paint today.. by Folk Art...can i used these to color the foam ..let it dry..then apply them to the micro fiber on the branches...

btw do i dilute them a bit first? sorry for the many questions..

paint6mc.jpg

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
some use paint to color foam thined down to a watery consistency ,I use rit dye desolved in a alchol water mix in a old blender to chop foam and color at same time.

eleewhm

May 6, 2006
hi jim..thanks for the quickly reply....hmmm..so just dissolving in water is not enough?....need to use alcohol...?