Newbie First Layout

z1178

Jan 22, 2005
Interested in Woodland Scenics River Pass layout as a first HO layout. Anyone with experience or comments about this product?

LIRR

Dec 19, 2004
Your better off jumping in head first and designing the whole show by yourself

z1178

Jan 22, 2005
Well, my thoughts were that this layout would be easier for someone such as myself that is not really much of a DIY type person and with limited time to learn by trial and error. I guess I thought this layout would be somewhat easier to deal with because it has everything you need in a package form and step by step instructions and at the same time learning some good techniques.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Welcome to The Gauge. :wave: Woodland Scenics is a stable product with legions of fans, myself included. I've used it for 30+ years, I'd say go for it, especially as a beginning modeler and for the reasons you've stated already. :thumb:

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
I have limited use with woodland scenics so far but think that there stuff is some of the best around....for us new guys if you have the cash the kits are the way to go....I know I know they confine us to a certain extent but they also give us a sense of accomplishment. And know I didnt spell check,lol.

77Railer

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
the one I saw was lookin good

I saw one set up by a newbie at the local hobby shop and he did a excelent job at it and from what they said did it all himself

F

Fred_M

The Kit is great for new modelers. That's it's target market. It will teach you the basics step by step and is fine for modeling in a limited space. WELCOME TO THE GAUGE!!! Fred

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Welcome to the gauge Z, I think it would be a good way to start out in the hobby, IF you have the cash to drop all at once vs buying a little as you go.

z1178

Jan 22, 2005
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I do not have the kit yet, tried a few stores today just to check it out, but they were closed due to the snowstorm. I have limited time during the week so it will have to wait till next weekend. I found the complete River Pass layout kits online at Manhattan Trains, they have a great price, are they reliable?

On the kit, does it come with step by step instructions? Does it help you with wiring/power control--something that seems very confusing to someone such as myself never having done any model railroading before.

I have always wanted to set up a layout and just never got a chance to really do one and when I saw the Woodland Scenics layout kit I thought this might be the time. Also, I really want to work on it with my 13 year old son and he seems very into it so I think we can really spend some great time together working on the layout and learning together.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
z1178 said:
Thanks for the warm welcome.
On the kit, does it come with step by step instructions? Does it help you with wiring/power control--something that seems very confusing to someone such as myself never having done any model railroading before.

When you check with your local hobby shop about the Woodland Scenics kit, check on their book supplies. Atlas, Kalmbach(Model Railroader), and Carstens (Railroad Model Craftsman) all offer books on basic electrical wiring at reasonable prices.