newbee

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by TBF, Dec 10, 2005.

1. TBF

TBF New Member

We are thinking of getting a lionel train set for our 6 year old and were woundering if anyone had any recomendations? We were looking at the New York flyer with train sounds. Thanks in advance for your input! TBF:wave:
  2. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Hi:
    I take it he is already interested in trains? Has some wooden push trains or some wind ups and he likes to play with them now? Does he know how to take care of his things? If so, this looks like a neat set. I take it you are refering to the New York Central Flyer set, cat number 6-31977? Comes with 40 x 60 oval track and boxcar tank car and lighted caboose? Looks like a nice train to start a young fellow on his way to railroading adventure. The engine and rolling stock look like they are well detailed but there is not a lot of added on "little pieces" for little hands to break off. There's a good start on some frieght and you can expand in the future with the passenger set and then he can move people and frieght!

The American Flyer set i received for Christmas when i was 7 had an automobile unloading flat car and an operating passenger station and they made the set for me because they actually DID stuff. If i were you, i would see if grandma or Auntie Mabel would be interested in buying him the Santa Fe operating log dump car cat number 6-26812 lists for $33. This will add a lot to his fun as it actually dumps the logs. Then, for future Christmases you can buy the operating log loading station. It costs enough to be the "big present" for his Christmas when he's 8 or so. He'll also need some turnouts and more track but those can be picked up a couple sections at a tiem for most any occasion.

He will probably need some help getting that big engine on the tracks in the beginning but he'll catch on quickly i expect. Does he have some blocks or Legos or a ready source of cardboard boxes he can use to make buildings, towns, mountains and bridges? He'll be needing to make stuff to give his trains a purpose and to help him create the "world" in which his little train empire can flourish. And he'll need you, to help him learn all the important stuff like, making the proper noise for when the logs are being dumped. Learning to say, "All Aboard!" when the train pulls out. Etc.

Hope this has helped.
    Regard'S',
    Ted
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I'll agree with most of what Ted said. I had my first electric train at 4 or 5.
    I think you should add on a gondola or hopper car. These have nice open tops that he can put other toys in as loads or just to give them a ride.
    Check on the operating cars -- they may need a special track that doesn't come with some sets.
  4. TBF

TBF New Member

Thanks Ted and David I think I will make a trip to the hobby store tomorow and check things out!Tom.
  5. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Hi Again:
    I agree David.
    Any car you can put stuff in has good "play value". The boxcar door opens and so it will also allow stuff to be loaded into it. Good eye on the operating rail section David. It's another $14 so the operating car price is a little steeper. Get the gon or hopper if the operating car is too dear right now. That'll give him two cars he can load up and haul around blocks, tigers, dinosaurs and alsorts.

Regard'S',
    Ted
  6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Ted: I know about the operating tracks because I bought a set for my wife last year and it didn't have an uncoupling track. I can't persuade my wife that she really needs to have one!